Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Movement Identity "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Since I don't currently have access to the Illinois Watch Co. book, I was hoping that someone would help me with the nomenclature of this movement. It seems to be a very common type.

Since the photo isn't too clear, I'll list the markings; Illinois Watch Co., Springfield, 15 jewel, 4641687. It has the seconds at 9 O'clock.

Also is their a database of serial numbers that will help me put an age on it?

Thanks, Jim

15 jewel

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jim,

According to the Illinois Encyclopedia compiled by Bill Meggars and Roy Ehrhardt your wristwatch is from a run numbered 4641001-4642000 inclusive. Illinois production records published therein list it as a 15-Jewel, Grade 903 from 1925 production.

Hope that is of help to you.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Thanks Lindell, That pretty well nails it.

Regards, Jim

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Lindell or anyone else, If I look through parts catalogs I see 3/0s Would that be the size number I'm looking for? I need a balance staff for this movement.

Thanks, Jim

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
I found some size charts on the web and I think I have figured it out. The movement measures 25.4 mm (Within 3 significant figures)which is an inch which is the size of a 6/0 movement. Not only that, but I just noticed that the case is marked 6/0 Smile

I don't know much, but I'm motivated to learn.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Sorry Jim,

I neglected to put the fact yours is a 6/0 movement in my earlier post. You are correct, that's what it is. By the way the listings line for 4641687 which is 4641001-4642000 shows that particular run as being "lever-set" and there are other listings for pendant-set models of that same 903 grade.

My presumption is of that lever-set part of the listing being a misprint or modification.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
H8i Lindell, Thanks.

The good thing is that I had to do some digging and head scratching to get the size thing. That's how I learn best.

Now I'll spend the night learning what pendant set means. I know lever set but not pendant. I also don't know a way of discerning the difference without dis-assembling the movement.

I removed the balance cock today and learned that someone had removed the balance staff and left me with a balance wheel and a spring. Be greatful for small favors. I was able to order one at McCaw. You guys are having rather bad weather today so he will ship later in the week.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Regards, Jim

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Pendant set is when you pull out the crown to set the hands.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
The easiest way I know to determine if a watch is lever set is to remove the front bezel and look closely at the side of the dial from the 12 anti-clockwise to the 6. If it is lever set you will see a small bit of metal sticking out from the dial and resting in a notch in the case body. Pull very gently with a finger nail and the lever should move out and put the setting mechanism in set mode. This may be too much a generalization, but open face watches usually have the lever between 12 and 2 and hunter case models have the lever between 4 and 6. I believe I am correct in saying that there are very few lever setting wrist watches out there. I am open to error correction if this is not true.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Thank you Mark and John for your input. I'm working with a text published in the UK and it appears that their terminiology is a little different than ours.

I just got some bad news however. Since the balance staff was missing completely, it was also missing the impulse pin roller, and I'm learning that this roller is difficult to find in the NOS market. Maybe I'll have to buy a donor movement that has one.

Regards, Jim

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hello again Lindell and others, I just tried to order that impulse roller and the vendor said that I need the "Series" number in addition to the 6/0s and the Grade 903. Are you aware of what he is talking about? He didn't want the serial number so I don't think he was talking about the 464, but now that I think about it, maybe that is the series number. What do you think?

Regards, Jim

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Jim it,s a 15 jewel 6/0 size model 1 grade 903 i have a few of these parts movements but i will have to check and see which grade they are..parts for these can be hard to find but you might try these folks ..sounds like you need the roller table and roller jewel.
Finn Time Products
1-800-237-2358. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Jim i have 1 of the grade 903 model 1 movements like yours that runs but does need service it,s a little earlier than yours but not much ser# 4202441 this one was in a open face pendant case but is the same movement but no second hand which was the way a lot of the pendant watches were made the balance should be the same ..if you can,t find your parts email me .

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hi Samie, I wouldn't want to canabalize a working movement for this project, but thank you very much for your offer. The part I need is the little spindle that fits on the bottom of the balance staff. It has the impulse pin in it.

I have plenty of patience so I can wait for a parts movement with a good balance assembly. I just missed a basket case 903 last week on eBay but I didn't know I needed it at the time so I didn't bid quite strong enough.

I don't yet have the necessary priveledges to E-mail or PM you. If you would, please contact me at NOSPAM@NOSPAM okrobie@thewebplace.com Just cut out the NOSPAM.

While I'm waiting, I'll be looking for a big pocket watch movement to practice on.

Thanks again and best regards, Jim

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
P.S. I now know what a roller table and roller jewel are and you are correct (I'm just learning nomenclature)

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hello, After seeing many drawings of the lower part of the balance staff, I began to worry that I would also need a safety roller below the jewel so I removed the balance assembly from the other 903 that I have and drew a sigh of relief when I saw that the Impulse Pin Roller on that watch was all one piece roller-pin-roller. At least now I'm certain that I'm only looking for one part.

BTW I put the balance assembly back where it came from and the watch is keeping good time by the Grace of God, not my skill. That watch was left to me by my father so I wouldn't want to wreck it.

Next I'll put the balance assembly in my non-working watch to see if it will run. Please pray for more Grace, I'll need it.

Regards, Jim

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Jim a word of caution be sure and check the balance jewels in the watch and make sure they are not cracked or a piece of a old balance pivot in the jewel,if you try a good balance from another watch you can damange or even break the pivots on your good balance..

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Samie, Thanks for the tip. It does look like something is stuck in the jewel. As soon as my second hand puller arrives, I'll remove the dial and know for sure.

Thanks again, Jim

P.S. One vendor I talked to looked up the Illinois part number of the table and jewel. It is 2003

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Samie, I may need that 903 movement after all. I need more parts than I thought. Since I can't contact you please contact me if you will. okrobie@thewebplace.com

Regards, Jim