• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Two free 1940's movies about Watches to download. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Two free 1940's movie shorts about Watches.

What Makes a Fine Watch Fine? (1947) 20 Minutes
History and practice of precision watchmaking at the Hamilton factory in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

www.archive.org/details/WhatMake1947

and
How a Watch Works (1949) 18+ Minutes
A simple demonstration of the basic design and operation of a watch, including stop-motion animation showing a watch being assembled from many parts.

http://www.archive.org/details/HowaWatc1949

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Anthony,

Super cool Cool Cool Cool

I now have a much finer understanding and appreciation of watch mechanisms thanks to you!

No doubt other members will also. Thanks again Anthony.

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Well said Stephanie!

I've heard of these movies before but it is great to finally see them.

Thanks a million to Anthony for pointing them out to us.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks, aren't they great! I wish they would have spent more time in the Hamilton Factory but I guess they had to consider that the general public might not enjoy learning too much about pivot polishing or Elvinar production. The honey trick is interesting, I would have thought they would have used grease to keep things in place when needed. I am guessing honey was used so as to not contaminate a water based cleaning solution down the line.

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
posted
A P.S. I just noticed that these same two free short films are being sold on Ebay.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Ha! Yes, I bought a DVD copy of these for $5. Also a DVD of vintage TV commercials. I'm not upset, since I don't have a DVD burner myself and wanted to watch them on the tube.

Adam

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
posted
Smile I was going to buy the very same DVD as well. Then I went looking for more information on them and came across the very same two Hamilton clips free on that site ,it's all public domain. That site has a lot of other interesting things free for downloading as well. Kind of like "Project Gutenberg" but for media.

Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to thank Anthony for posting the links to the films.

I read the thread a few months ago and was in too big a hurry to watch them and made a mental note to do so when I had more time.

Finally watched them a few days ago and I thoroughly enjoyed them both. I particularly liked the "What Makes A Fine Watch Fine" and watched that one twice. Smile

It was amazing to see the little pillbox with 300,000 movement screws in it!

Thanks, Anthony.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006