Internet Horology Club 185
Two free 1940's movies about Watches to download.

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/4121069681

May 29, 2006, 03:37
Anthony Crisci
Two free 1940's movies about Watches to download.
Two free 1940's movie shorts about Watches.

What Makes a Fine Watch Fine? (1947) 20 Minutes
History and practice of precision watchmaking at the Hamilton factory in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

www.archive.org/details/WhatMake1947

and
How a Watch Works (1949) 18+ Minutes
A simple demonstration of the basic design and operation of a watch, including stop-motion animation showing a watch being assembled from many parts.

http://www.archive.org/details/HowaWatc1949
May 29, 2006, 14:57
Stephanie O'Neil
Hi Anthony,

Super cool Cool Cool Cool

I now have a much finer understanding and appreciation of watch mechanisms thanks to you!

No doubt other members will also. Thanks again Anthony.

Stephanie O'Neil

May 29, 2006, 15:30
Lindell V. Riddle

Well said Stephanie!

I've heard of these movies before but it is great to finally see them.

Thanks a million to Anthony for pointing them out to us.

Lindell

Wink

May 30, 2006, 03:08
Anthony Crisci
Thanks, aren't they great! I wish they would have spent more time in the Hamilton Factory but I guess they had to consider that the general public might not enjoy learning too much about pivot polishing or Elvinar production. The honey trick is interesting, I would have thought they would have used grease to keep things in place when needed. I am guessing honey was used so as to not contaminate a water based cleaning solution down the line.
June 07, 2006, 16:47
Anthony Crisci
A P.S. I just noticed that these same two free short films are being sold on Ebay.
June 07, 2006, 17:11
Adam M. Dubin
Ha! Yes, I bought a DVD copy of these for $5. Also a DVD of vintage TV commercials. I'm not upset, since I don't have a DVD burner myself and wanted to watch them on the tube.

Adam
June 09, 2006, 16:23
Anthony Crisci
Smile I was going to buy the very same DVD as well. Then I went looking for more information on them and came across the very same two Hamilton clips free on that site ,it's all public domain. That site has a lot of other interesting things free for downloading as well. Kind of like "Project Gutenberg" but for media.
March 18, 2007, 10:26
Clyde Roper
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to thank Anthony for posting the links to the films.

I read the thread a few months ago and was in too big a hurry to watch them and made a mental note to do so when I had more time.

Finally watched them a few days ago and I thoroughly enjoyed them both. I particularly liked the "What Makes A Fine Watch Fine" and watched that one twice. Smile

It was amazing to see the little pillbox with 300,000 movement screws in it!

Thanks, Anthony.