Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 14K Deco "Click" to Login or Register 
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Hi all,

Anyone recognize the model of this Elgin? I just finished a complete restoration of it, but I haven't been able to identify it by model in any the publications that I have. It's a 10/0 size dated to 1927. Case is 14K solid white gold, and it's hinged.

Thanks,
Gene

Posts: 54 | Location: Southeastern Texas in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
This is a beauty! What are the measurements? I presume this is small -- perhaps about the size of my Elgin Mermaid?

If ANYONE knows this case, I'm sure that Bryan G does. If I can find some info for you, I will let you know.

Regards,

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Hi Rick,

Thanks. This watch measures 35mm in length x 24 mm in width, exclusive of crown. It seems to resemble one picture I found of a 200-Clubman, but it has the additional engraving on top of the bezel. Other than this added engraving, it's pretty close to the Clubman, and it has the same movemment.

Yes, I agree about Bryan. However, I sent him a pic yesterday, and he hasn't been able to identify it yet.

Thanks again,
Gene

Posts: 54 | Location: Southeastern Texas in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Gene, I believe the Clubman you are thinking about has a more streamlined rounded bezel, while this one has somewhat more defined edges.

I've had one of these before, but don't know the name of it. It also came with alternating black and white enamel designs on the bezel. I have an ad that shows the enamel version, I'll check to see if it gives a name for that one.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Thanks Bryan. I have suspicions that this model may be one that wasn't produced in large quantities. I say that mainly because of my efforts in trying to identify a proper crystal for it which ended with no results. I have many crystal catalogs from different companies, some of which date back over 60 years, and this particular case is not in a single catalog, glass or plastic. That just potentially tells me that not enough of them were produced to cause a crystal manufacturer to list and supply it.

Gene

posted
Gene,

I presume you were able to locate someone to cut you one?

Rick

Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Hey Rick,

Nope. I ground it myself. I just took one that was slightly oversize and fired up the crystal grinder. Of course you have to start out with one that has approximately the same contour, in the horizontal plane. That's provided the bezel 'has' a contour other than flat.

Gene

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Very nice Gene, you do beautiful restorations!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Thanks Don. I try to make them as close to original as possible.

Gene

posted
As a matter of interest you had a Bulova watch shaped like a South American pyramid, Cor-something or other, hang on, I think I've found a picture

Your picture in fact!

Anyway, it's well gorgeous, but where did you get the metal part of the straps from? I've bought a scruffer version, but not with the beautiful strap bits

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Hi Stephen,

That's a great looking watch, but I don't recall ever having one. I suspect that you are referring to Bryan who made a posting in this topic above. He certainly may have had a watch like this before.

Regards,
Gene

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
What's the serial number on the watch?

Sure is nice!

Oh, and most 10/0s are Lady Elgins??? until 1927?

Very interesting! need SN

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Hi Sheila,

Serno is 31860122, and it's not marked Lady. See this page on my website:
http://www.classicwristwatches.com/page34.html

Gene

posted
Interestingly, I own a Elgin Mermaid, seemingly a sister watch to this one, and it came with a movement marked "Lady Elgin". Since I got mine, I have seen others with movements marked both ways. I've always wondered if this was just a necessity of the Depression, of if Elgin might have marketed the Mermaid to men and women?

Regards,

Rick

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I think the movement markings were the last things on their minds, after all, the buyer would never guess what was engraved on their movement. Selling watches, the pressing reality of remaining in business during the worst economic downturn in history was all that mattered.

They marketed watches, they sold them to anyone capable of buying, many women bought "mens" watches then as they do now. And part of the irony is, from the first "wristwatches" ever made they were lady's Hunter movements put in a wristwatch case.

Such is merchandising!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002