Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Panerai - real or fake "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
Hi all,

I have a friend who was gifted this watch in 2006. He has no history on it and has always thought it was the real deal. Even though it is a nice watch, I'm concerned it is more likely a very nice knock off.

Any comments are welcome.

R/Paul

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted

IHC Member 1736
posted

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
fake by the look of the balance bridge do some searches and u will see for yourself.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Looks to crudely finished Paul..Mine has "Swiss Made" below the 6 position on the dial.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Member 1736
posted
I would tend to agree with both of you. The incabloc looks odd to me too.

I spent a quite a bit of time looking at auction examples and internet examples... but had a hard time telling authentic from fake there as well.

Most have a mag window for the date and have a lot more info on the movement... cal P-9000...

Peter, thanks for the photo, it helps me a lot.

In a perfect world, one of the guys that dabbles with swiss and japanese conversions will name the surrogate movement in my buddy's watch.

posted
Paul Im not expert but seen few real before I made my the homage.
But on that one the dial and the movement looks kosher to me.

posted
Hi Paul

The genuine watch has the Panerai OP III movement based on a Valjoux 7750.

The other movement is likely a chinese SB1HZ.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thanks Gents,

So, I think we ended up at (Chinese Knock Off)

Is it even legal to resell?

Paul T.

posted
if you got balls to sale fake watch go for it Just kidding
I suggest to change dial to one with out panerai
name before you try to sale.

posted
It's fake...an Asian 21j movement with sticker on the rotor.

Posts: 1 | Location: Castle Hayne, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2014
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I remember seeing these at knock-off watch seller's stands in the Seoul Korea Subway Stations around where the US Army was based. They were selling for about $25,000 Won (US$18.00) just the same as a "Rolex". The "dead giveaway" is the lady's size auto-wind movement shown in the display window.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Agree that it's likely a Chinese fake. Wear it, use it 'til it dies, just don't try to sell it. They are cheaply made, but keep pretty good time,

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012