• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about a 1955 L5 BULOVA 23 AUTOMATIC.... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a question about a 1955 L5 BULOVA 23 AUTOMATIC I got off of fleabay...The watch allegedly had a COA done to it....The watch when wound and shaken will only seem to run for maybe 8 hours approx....I notice that when I manually wind it only allows to me to wind the stem 7 times approx. before I hear a clicking noise (to keep the spring from breaking?)....My question is that normal for this type/style/brand watch or is it something in the spring (too short?) or mechanism?....I would like to say in my defense that I am a novice trying to learn so thus my questions....Smile

"It's like deja vu all over again..."

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Is this when the watch is being worn? One would expect the movement of the rotor to keep it wound and running indefinitely.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
No Ed not worn....Just received the watch and was trying to test it out (in my own amateur way)....I usually will wind it and let it run to see accuracy and length of time....I just didn't know if this was normal or not before I enter into a dialog with the seller or leave him a positive feedback.... Smile

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
the old automatic did not have long power reserve
so but should be more them 8 hours and you do not wind the watch by crown you will have to have it on your wrist for full day to get fully charged
23 jewels is a good movement in that Bulova nice one Robert.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Based on my experience with self winding watches, it seems okay to me. You won't ever get a full wind manually. Wear it for at least a couple of days, and see if it continues to run overnight. It should.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Thanks guys for the info....I will wear it and see if that helps...This is why I joined the IHC185 to learn new things....Thanks again, Robert

Here is a pic of the face:

posted
Hi Robert, I would question if it was truly COA as claimed. All the dirt and grime under the case back would make me wonder.
Nice looking watch though, i like the textured dials

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Thanks Ray.....Yes you are probably right about the COA he claimed to have done.....That's fleabay for you....I wish my eye sight was better to be able to see these things.... Frown