Internet Horology Club 185
Question about a 1955 L5 BULOVA 23 AUTOMATIC....

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/3093901677

December 06, 2012, 13:46
Robert Epstein
Question about a 1955 L5 BULOVA 23 AUTOMATIC....
I have a question about a 1955 L5 BULOVA 23 AUTOMATIC I got off of fleabay...The watch allegedly had a COA done to it....The watch when wound and shaken will only seem to run for maybe 8 hours approx....I notice that when I manually wind it only allows to me to wind the stem 7 times approx. before I hear a clicking noise (to keep the spring from breaking?)....My question is that normal for this type/style/brand watch or is it something in the spring (too short?) or mechanism?....I would like to say in my defense that I am a novice trying to learn so thus my questions....Smile

"It's like deja vu all over again..."
December 06, 2012, 14:29
Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
Is this when the watch is being worn? One would expect the movement of the rotor to keep it wound and running indefinitely.

Best Regards,

Ed
December 06, 2012, 14:52
Robert Epstein
No Ed not worn....Just received the watch and was trying to test it out (in my own amateur way)....I usually will wind it and let it run to see accuracy and length of time....I just didn't know if this was normal or not before I enter into a dialog with the seller or leave him a positive feedback.... Smile

December 06, 2012, 16:03
Peter Kaszubski
the old automatic did not have long power reserve
so but should be more them 8 hours and you do not wind the watch by crown you will have to have it on your wrist for full day to get fully charged
23 jewels is a good movement in that Bulova nice one Robert.
December 06, 2012, 16:04
Dave Turner
Based on my experience with self winding watches, it seems okay to me. You won't ever get a full wind manually. Wear it for at least a couple of days, and see if it continues to run overnight. It should.

Dave Turner
December 06, 2012, 17:29
Robert Epstein
Thanks guys for the info....I will wear it and see if that helps...This is why I joined the IHC185 to learn new things....Thanks again, Robert

Here is a pic of the face:

December 07, 2012, 11:46
Ray Hallenbeck
Hi Robert, I would question if it was truly COA as claimed. All the dirt and grime under the case back would make me wonder.
Nice looking watch though, i like the textured dials
December 07, 2012, 11:55
Robert Epstein
Thanks Ray.....Yes you are probably right about the COA he claimed to have done.....That's fleabay for you....I wish my eye sight was better to be able to see these things.... Frown