• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

lever movements.what are they "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
As I am new to mechanical watch collecting and learning all the time, can someone please tell me what a lever movement is and what difference or advantage it has to a non lever movement? I have 2 watches with lever movement.

Posts: 26 | Location: Nottingham, England | Registered: March 31, 2009
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Michael,

If I understand what you are asking, the most common method of setting the time is with a stem (pendant) set method or a lever set method. The stem set movements you simply pull up on the crown to set the time wheras a lever set movement you have to remove the bezel and and there is a little lever you pull out from just at the edge of the dial. On an Illinois watch this is usually located at the six minute location of the dial. Pulling this lever out allows you to set the time.

Is this what you were asking?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Michael

When I read your post I thought of the different types of escapements, such as verge, cylinder & lever.

So I will wait to hear back too.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Michael

I agree with Tom when we talk of lever movements we are usually talking about the detached lever escapement as opposed to the verge; cylinder; chronometer or some other form of escapement.

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
posted
Now I'm confused.I have a 1920's art deco watch in my collection and it says 17 jewels lever on the dial.I also have an ingersoll from the 1950's that says 7 jewel lever.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Michael, your two watches that have 'Lever' on the movement or dial are referring to the type escapement the watch is made of, as Tom and Clive have suggested....

There are various types escapements used in making a watch and those two or lever as opposed to 'Cylinder, Verge' or other type escapement, and there many....

Page 61 of the Complete Price Guide to Watches begins a detailed explanation of the different types of watch escapements, I would suggest that you take a look at that, it may help solve some of your confusion....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Thanks Jerry.I will see if I can get the book from amazon.Many thanks to all who have helped with their input.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Michael the guide is available here at this site, you get a great deal to buy the book & also become a dues paying member, you will then have access to all of the site.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6019371/m/4441085133

Tom

posted
Many thanks for the link to the ihc185 watches "encyclopaedia".I actually purchased a smaller book for around the same price.What garbage ! it came today and half or more of the pages have come detached.I have just purchased the ihc185 book.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Welcome Aboard Michael!

Thank you for your IHC185 dues and watch guide purchase. Your book will ship out on Saturday.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Michael

I would also like to welcome you as a dues paying member. It will be the best $12.00 you have ever spent, page after page of old posts to read & new stuff everyday.

You will meet some of the nicest people here who are very willing to share their knowledge. I enjoy reading all the new posts everyday.

Tom

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hear, Hear, to all the above....

Welcome Michael to the 185 SPECIAL....We are going to new and exciting places....ALL ABOARD...!

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008