Internet Horology Club 185
lever movements.what are they

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/30810377

April 29, 2009, 17:13
Michael Hickley
lever movements.what are they
As I am new to mechanical watch collecting and learning all the time, can someone please tell me what a lever movement is and what difference or advantage it has to a non lever movement? I have 2 watches with lever movement.
April 29, 2009, 20:47
Steve Middlesworth
Michael,

If I understand what you are asking, the most common method of setting the time is with a stem (pendant) set method or a lever set method. The stem set movements you simply pull up on the crown to set the time wheras a lever set movement you have to remove the bezel and and there is a little lever you pull out from just at the edge of the dial. On an Illinois watch this is usually located at the six minute location of the dial. Pulling this lever out allows you to set the time.

Is this what you were asking?

Steve
April 29, 2009, 21:37
Tom Brown
Michael

When I read your post I thought of the different types of escapements, such as verge, cylinder & lever.

So I will wait to hear back too.

Tom
April 30, 2009, 16:54
Clive Driscoll
Michael

I agree with Tom when we talk of lever movements we are usually talking about the detached lever escapement as opposed to the verge; cylinder; chronometer or some other form of escapement.

Clive
May 03, 2009, 12:17
Michael Hickley
Now I'm confused.I have a 1920's art deco watch in my collection and it says 17 jewels lever on the dial.I also have an ingersoll from the 1950's that says 7 jewel lever.
May 03, 2009, 13:29
Jerry King
Michael, your two watches that have 'Lever' on the movement or dial are referring to the type escapement the watch is made of, as Tom and Clive have suggested....

There are various types escapements used in making a watch and those two or lever as opposed to 'Cylinder, Verge' or other type escapement, and there many....

Page 61 of the Complete Price Guide to Watches begins a detailed explanation of the different types of watch escapements, I would suggest that you take a look at that, it may help solve some of your confusion....

Regards,
Jerry
May 03, 2009, 15:47
Michael Hickley
Thanks Jerry.I will see if I can get the book from amazon.Many thanks to all who have helped with their input.
May 03, 2009, 17:08
Tom Brown
Michael the guide is available here at this site, you get a great deal to buy the book & also become a dues paying member, you will then have access to all of the site.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6019371/m/4441085133

Tom
May 13, 2009, 17:24
Michael Hickley
Many thanks for the link to the ihc185 watches "encyclopaedia".I actually purchased a smaller book for around the same price.What garbage ! it came today and half or more of the pages have come detached.I have just purchased the ihc185 book.
May 13, 2009, 20:30
Dr. Debbie Irvine

Welcome Aboard Michael!

Thank you for your IHC185 dues and watch guide purchase. Your book will ship out on Saturday.

Debbie

Smile

May 13, 2009, 22:21
Tom Brown
Michael

I would also like to welcome you as a dues paying member. It will be the best $12.00 you have ever spent, page after page of old posts to read & new stuff everyday.

You will meet some of the nicest people here who are very willing to share their knowledge. I enjoy reading all the new posts everyday.

Tom
May 14, 2009, 01:16
Jerry King
Hear, Hear, to all the above....

Welcome Michael to the 185 SPECIAL....We are going to new and exciting places....ALL ABOARD...!

Regards,
Jerry