• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us a wristwatch made before 1950 in your collection "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
circa 1946

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
NOS

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
posted
Hi wayne, I don´t want to offend you but whoever sold you the watch saying it was old(probably WestCoastTime)done you in.
1. The watch is marked on the dial british Military owz.(thin arrow)owz never delivered to the MoD.or W.D.
2, The back is marked WWW (wrist watch waterproof)
only twelve watches were marked WWW. (nicknamed the Dirty Dozen)
Buren, Cyma, Eterna,Grana, JaegerLecoultre, Lemania, Longines, IWC, Omega, Record, Timor, Vertex.
Here is THE reference site for WWW watches;
WWW Watches Ref.

If you open its case (which is brand new), you´ll probably find a relatively new ETA 2801-2 movement.
All the best Werner

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
This is the Grana from 1939, it´s marked ATP (Army Time Piece) on the back. Ticking inside is a Cal K.F.320-15 jewels. This would have been the holy grail that I have been looking for, for so long, if only it had WWW on the back, Frown
Grana is of course a fictitious name given to the watch because the manufacturer was kurt Freres, Switzerland, also producing under the name of Certina for the German Military Services. They wanted to earn their money from both Governments.

posted
Case markings

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Werner, back in early 2008 when I purchased this watch, I was looking for an easy read watch that I could read without my glasses. I wasn't looking for a collectable only a readable dial. I'm not a military collector but, I do like the looks of military style watches. The seller's description below is very confusing to say the least. I would appreciate if you could decipher what he is trying to say. It sounds like pure obfuscation to me. Confused

OWZ = Ollech and Wajs Zurich
This watch was made by the respected Albert Wajs of Switzerland of Ollech and Wajs who have manufactured durable and collectible military watches for over 40 years
This is an NOS watch made by the now out of business Ollech and Wajs of Arogno watch company of Switzerland, faithfully re-assembled with new dial and luminescence in superluminova. This is a manual wind movement..... The coin bezel case and the 15 jewel hand wound movement are the original pieces. The watch has the sub-seconds with a red hand. The back of the watch is engraved with historical data and dates - email for a photo. This is a classic looking watch and once they are sold there will be no more. This is more a collectible than a beater although at the price it is hard to find something this nice that is affordable for every day use. The movement being original may be in need of a cleaning for optimal performance I shall only send a watch that runs and keeps reasonable time. This watch was reassembled by O & W as seen in the logo in the eye at 3:00 OWZ - only they can find such special watches to bring to the public so many years after a company has disappeared along with its stock. Smart looking on the wrist. The watch is 37.5 mm in diameter w/o crown and 43 mm lug to lug and 11 mm high with its slightly round crystal of hardened mineral glass. Legible and easy on the eye and yet different than any timepiece anyone around you might be wearing. Water resistant to 3ATM but not a diver just against splashing and rain with a friction crown and a screw down stainless back. This watch has the real potential of becoming a collectible over time although of course there is no guarantee to that effect but the movements and cases are now gone and the look is highly desirable.

posted
Hello Wayne, the company Ollech and Wajs was originaly formed in 1954 as a transport Co.
The Watch you bought was sold by Albert Wajs.
By no means old stock, because he is still selling them to the unweary today!
Look here; Ollech & Wajs
How much old stock do you think they had?

As you can see, they never produced watches themselves, they bought all parts and tried to sell them. Here some info on the Firm;

Overview
Entry in the Commercial Register:
25/02/1954
Legal Head Office:
Zurich (ZH)

Purpose
Export and import of goods of all kinds as well as Siemens acquisition of freight forwarders.
Last SOGC reporting Ollech & Wajs, Spedirekt
SCG: 041 / 2007 of 28.02.2007
Ollech & Wajs, Spedirekt, Zurich, CH-020.2.902.650-3, export and import of goods of all kinds, general partnership (Gazette No. 88, 09. 05. 2003, p. 23, Publ 981698).
New Company: Ollech & Wajs, Spedirekt into liquidation. The company has dissolved.
Retired persons and extinct Signatures: Ollech, Joseph, of Zurich, Zurich, shareholder, with single signature.
Persons registered new or modified: Wajs, Albert, of Zurich, Zurich, shareholders and liquidator, with individual signatures so far [: associates].
HR Number:
CH-020.2.902.650-3
HR Office:
Canton Zurich

Ollech & Wajs, Spedirekt, Zurich, CH-020.2.902.650-3, export and import of goods of all kinds, general partnership (Gazette No. 88, 09. 05. 2003, p. 23, Publ 981698).
New Company: Ollech & Wajs, Spedirekt into liquidation. The company has dissolved.
Retired persons and extinct Signatures: Ollech, Joseph, of Zurich, Zurich, shareholder, with single signature.
Persons registered new or modified: Wajs, Albert, of Zurich, Zurich, shareholders and liquidator, with individual signatures so far [: associates].

Regards Werner

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Werner, this disclaimer covers their butt. It is a true statement.

This is a new watch made by Ollech and Wajs to pay homage to similar hand wound watches worn in WW II by the Allies. This is a classic looking watch. This is not a collectible it is a watch to WEAR to the office every day.

Werner thank you very much, it's great to learn
the facts, supported by documentation like you provided. Keep up the discussion & pass your knowledge along. This is exactly why I am a member of ihs185. I now have valueable information on the real "Dirty Dozen".

Keep the discussion coming, you are not offending anyone. Thanks Wayne.

posted
Wayne, it´s a pleasure sir!
It´s also a pleasure to be here amongst the REAL learned people. I wish to expand my knowledge on american Pocketwatches and uptill now I have only come across very sincere, helpful and polite people Thank you folks!

P.S. 1979 Breitling went into liquidation. The then already finished watches were sold to Helmuth Sinn. Ollech & Wajs bought all the spare parts and liquidation stock that were still in the Breitling stores. With these parts he made a watch similar to the Breitling Navitimer, and called it the Aviation 6081 Chronograph. Aviation 6081

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Maybe we can identify the movement on this completely unmarked watch dial, movement & case. I have dillusions of grandeur on this watch because the closest I can match by comparison is a Hy Moser & Cie. Let's prove me right or wrong on this WWI trench watch.

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Unmarked movement & case

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Moser Stamped Comparison

posted
Wayne have a look at this;
Patria movement
Werner

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
I assume that this Wittnauer 17J, GF, 75 Revue is probably before the "50s", but really don't know that.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
This Rockford is a 15J, Ser. # 653574.

Bill Carlson

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
By the style is suspect this Girard Perregaux is fairly old also.
Its Swiss, 17J, # A63426 , GF

Bill Carlson

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Rolex Viceroy ref. 3116, ca. 1938, in 14K pink gold:

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
posted
Some Great watches being unearthed here! Cool

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Jesus...I would beg, steal or borrow for that rolex viceroy Adam...Nice timepiece!
werner

posted
Might have to be all three Werner if what I saw trawling the web is to be believed Wink

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
IWC Mk XI and Jaeger LeCoultre Mk XI

posted
IWC Mk X and Jaeger LeCoultre Mk XI with a Promithium Dial...