Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Military Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Can anyone tell me the caliber # on this military movement it is from 1979,i need to order a click spring for this,,My bestfit book is from 1962 so i don,t have any info from 1979..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
dial

posted
Samie, I have one like that from my tour in the far east. Mine is marked Benrus. Mine is in the plastic case where the movement comes out through the front. These were actually drop accountability for the military at that time. That means that they were throw aways when they quit.

Tom

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks Tom this one is in a base metal case military markings on the back.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Samie is repairing this watch for one of our members.

Can anyone help with the part number of the click spring for the movement shown in the first image above? There are miltary markings including Hamilton origins on the case-back.

Thanks in advance!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
That is interesting that Samie's watch has the Hamilton marking on the case back. My 7J Benrus marked movement is exactly like the one in Samie's pic. I wonder what supplier both Benrus and Hamilton bought their movements from to sell to the military. If we could figure that out, we would have the part number.

Tom

posted
This is probably a Standard Time Movement.They were(I think)movements from all the Ebauches SA companies made by ETA after things got tight and when the companies were being consolidated.
I don't have any books here at home but I have a Hamilton apart on my bench and will check it out tomorrow.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks Julian i have no books at all on movements after the early 60,s.
Smile

posted
Samie,

I agree with Julian that this is a Standard Time movement, but I don't find reference for a 447 caliber. Standard used lots of ebauches by Font, A. Schild, ETA and others, so it's still probably best to try to find that actual reference.

My 1974 base metal cased military watch with Hamilton markings has a 17 jewel INT/DuRowe movement, marked H. W. Co. I think perhaps yours underwent a movmeent transplant at some point. I'll keep looking.

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks Cary here is a close up under the balance the makers mark is weak and hard to see and the # 7420/3

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
back of the case.

posted
Samie,

That's it then. It's an International/DuRowe 7420-3. Jules Borel lists a click spring combo for $7.50. I've got a pending order with them. Let me know if you want me to order it and I'll send it to you at cost.

Regards,

Cary

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks Cary that would be great and thank you.. Smile

posted
Samie,

Order is placed, they uually ship quite quickly. I'll let you know when I hear something.

Cary

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Every now and again there are times when Chapter 185 is not so good and then there are times like this that make everything right again. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Samie,

Borel order finally arrived, spring is in the mail.

Cary

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks cary i sent you a email.. Smile