• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mystery Elgin in a Book Box "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am seeking some help. I have tried several forums without luck.
The watch pictured is dated to 1938 according to the movement.
The most usual aspect of this watch is its packaging. The watch is a solid 14 karat yellow gold Elgin, no second hand.
It is packaged in this Book Box, the spine says
Super Fidelis and Elgin.
I am looking for direction on this wrist watch. I have never seen this packaging before.

Book Box

Posts: 11 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2016
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That's a new one on me too, but I believe it says Semper Fidelis, not 'Super', which means 'always faithful'. Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
You are right, it was a typo. It’s clearly on the book spine. Even with Google, I have not been able to find any data on wrist watches..

Posts: 11 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2016
IHC Life Member
posted
Looks like it would make a very nice gift.
Most likely sold in the Base exchange for graduating cadets, Christmas gifts, or retiring Marines.
Navy exchange always had gift things for retirees and academy graduates. But that was many years ago.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
Thank you. I have been able to find more information on pocket watch packaging, but the wrist watch info is so scarce.
I appreciate your thoughts

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Then again, it could have simply been a single time Elgin offer as ‘always faithful’ could also just be referring to the watch.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The only other examples of "Semper Fidelis" book packaging I have seen have been on Elgin C.H. Hulburd pocket watches, its top-of-the-line solid gold or platinum presentation watches from the 1920s-1930s. One such example is up for sale at the April 25, 2020 Jones Horan auction. I have a similar C.H. Hulburd in a "Semper Fidelis" book box, shown below besides a small Swiss travel clock/watch in the form of a book. Inside my Semper Fidelis box is a black leather watch stand that can be used to make the Hulburd function as a travel clock/watch.

I presume that Elgin wristwatches sold with that fancy packaging must have been top-of-the-line models too, but I am not a wristwatch collector.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
EXCELLENT data point, Ethan!

I'd say it would be totally safe to assume that is the very explanation for the wrist watch box.

So, Brian, it appears you have a top drawer Elgin wristie in your possession!

Congratulation!

Regards! Mark

posted
Thank you for the feedback. I find it a bit of a mystery that Elgin developed this creative packaging and I can not find any advertisements or publications supporting this watch.
I guess that what makes this such a mystery.