• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a Gruen 8 Ligne, Model 400, 17 J In a wadsworth 10K Golf filled case. The price was right (next to nothing). My question to the WW experts...

Any idea on the age of this watch, and do you folks think that this is an original dial? It looks too good for an old watch.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
Possible, but not likely. Most painted dials unless kept in ideal conditions exhibit some weathering after a period of time. I cleaned a Gruen though last year that was very nice but the family had it stored for several years after the original owner died (the grandfather). It was a GF case as well. Very nice

David Fahrenholz

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Mike can you get a shot of the movement that will help with the dating. I don't think the dial is original

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
David and Rich:

Thanks for the replies. Here's a little more info on the Gruen. First the movement. There is a serial number 2-124339.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
This is what's inside the case back...

posted
And finally, a closer look at that dial. Perhaps it was refinished?

Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
Mike,
My guess is sometime in the past the dial was replaced or refinished. There appears to be no dirt marks around the dial where it meets the case. These older Gruens had poor seals and let a lot of dirt in typically on the dial near the crystal. Still a nice watch though.

David Fahrenholz

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
posted
The dial is not original.

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003