Tools
Reply to Post

Movement ID Please "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone identify this movement?

Thanks in advance

IHC Member 1193

Movement.

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted
As it is in an American type case (no detent screw visible) and is a private label it is very likely a Longines. We would have to see the dial side of movement to be sure.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
I would agree with William. It looks very 'longinish'.
To identify a movement you need the diameter and the 'dial view'. Often the shape and finisch of the 'bridges' and 'plates' changes but the set and wind mechanism on the dial plate is unchanged and allows a better identification.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thank you Gentlemen for the information. As soon as the watch arrives, I'll post pictures on the dial side.

Regards

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Christian, here's a little info on the private lable on the movement, Marcus & Co. New York....

Marcus & Co.
from the Antique Jewelry University
MARCUS & CO. (1892 - 1962)
American jeweler best known for its Art Nouveau jewelry and silver. In 1892, when Herman Marcus and his son William opened Marcus & Company at 857 Broadway, New York, Herman Marcus was already well known and respected by the New York City jewelry community. Born and raised in Germany, he had moved to the city in 1850; his knowledge of European trends and previous experience at Ellemeyer, court jewelers of Dresden, won him jobs at Ball, Black, and Co. as well as Tiffany and Company.[1] He was also a partner in the prestigious firm Starr and Marcus before going into business with his son. In 1900, the firm exhibited beautiful orchid-motif brooches, featuring plique-à-jour enameling, at Paris’s International Exhibition. The pieces were clearly inspired by René Lalique.[2] The firm’s designs were of high quality, even if a bit crude by French standards, and are still among the best examples of American Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts jewelry.[3] Marcus and Company continued to attract high profile clientele throughout the twentieth century, including John D. Rockefeller. The firm closed for a brief time during World War II. In 1962, it merged with Black, Starr, and Frost.

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Thank you for taking the time to get this information and sharing it here. From the looks of tings, this watch might turn out to be a nice find. Big Grin

Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
I have identified the movement as Longines caliber 13.56N. It is 13 lignes or about 0 size, as the case would indicate. Movement is shown on page 265 of Paulson 1950 Swiss catalog. I went through my Longines junk movement cabinet at work and found several partial movements with this barrel bridge and private label marking. I would surmise this was a successful caliber for export and sale to retail jewelers.

posted
BTW now that I'm certain of the movement don't trouble to remove the dial, but still it would be nice to see the dial side view of the complete watch. Marcus & Co is a good find. Obviously they were familiar with the Wittnauer & Co agency!

posted
Thank you very much William for the effort in putting all this information together. I am very glad to find out that this movement indeed is a Longines and will probably be worth restoring this watch to it's former glory.
As for the pictures, I will still take them including those of the movement's dial side.

Thanks again my friend

Regards

IHC Member 1193

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
quote:
MARCUS & CO.

Thought I would post a photo of Mr. Marcus & his obit, it is from October 1899.

obit

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Was wondering when you would show up with one of your interesting facts. Big Grin

Thank you much.

Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Here is a picture of the dial, front of watch.

IHC Member 1193

posted
Here are some pictures I took of the dial side of the movement along with some others.

Regards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Hi William. Is there anyway you could upload a scan of the page you mentioned above.
Many thanks.

IHC Member 1193

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I am not a wristwatch collector but I also feel strongly it is a Longines, and very nice. Thanks for showing it Christian.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Thanks Richard and Happy 63rd to you. I too think it is a Longines, but it is very hard to try and find out what caliber it is. Sent an Email to longines to try and find some answers. Will post any info here.

Regards

IHC Member 1193