WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Collectors - What tempts you to part with the watch you loved? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
As a modest collector I find it hard to part with watches I like, especially if I have worked on them.

But sometimes I see something that I wish to fund and I am tempted to part with some of my treasures.

So what is it that tempts you to part with the watch you once loved.

Have you ever regretted it?

Just a bit of fun.

CLive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Clive

Well I miss them but I have to sell to buy more plus I enjoy working on them more than owning them I guess.

About the only one's I wouldn't sell are my dad's, my wife's grandfather's & one my wife bought me.

Now if I had all the money in the world I would never let one go but such is life.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Once years ago I traded a Waltham Ball for an English verge fusee pair case. I still have mixed emotions about that. Glad I got the one, sorry I lost the other. All in all, I don't regret it.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Great topic! If the attached Illinois Consul family seems to be missing something, it's because I traded away a terrific pinstripe dial Consul a year or 2 ago to thet the NOS 2-tone (2nd from left). Now that I've finally located a green example (2nd from left) I miss my old pinstripe one. Though, I am well aware that sometimes one has to break and egg...

Regards,

Illinois Consul

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Much to my wife's dismay, I have never sold any of my collectibles, Polaroid Camera's, Old Tube Radio's, Coin's or Watches.... Big Grin

I guess I'm just not a seller....yet. One day, maybe I will be....I just never think of selling....

With this economy the way it is though, who knows what is going to happen down the road.

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Extra funds to justify the purchase of another? LOL. Shameless self-promotion segue: I have a beautiful 1918 Longines for auction now on the site.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...426021842/m/16610471

Posts: 9 | Location: Port Townsend, Washington USA | Registered: August 06, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Jason,
A few of us only collect. I am sure the day will come when I start to sell my collection ----but not today///// Smile
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Tony, I hope I will still be here when that day comes.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
I will part with my personal watches to fuel(pun intended) my true passion, CARS! I love classic cars & have sold off past collections to pay for them. I have a thing for convertibles. Three are in the stable as of now. I'm always looking to trade....

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
posted
Well, I basically never part from a thing I have bought ... a joke at home is that if a thing is not in our drawers has not been made yet. But I do sell watches. The idea is once I have known a watch, catalogued it if it doesn't have a definite feeling to me it has to go. This leaves space for others: may be I do not collect watches, I try to collect ... watchmakers ideas. Funny, isn't it?

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Recently I've have chosen to part with a LOT of my collection in order to financially help one of our daughters, who is currently going through a particularily hard time in her life.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark, I have two sons (and two nephews). You can imagine what I feel about. Well done, Sir.

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you, Mario. I do indeed understand. I have two daughters, a niece and nephew myself. You do what you have to do.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Interesting, all too often I thought of my two daughters as being a particular hard time in MY life. But I love them both dearly so life goes on. Lordy, one is going on 50 in a few years! Eek

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Mark, I said, in an earlier post;

"I guess I'm just not a seller....yet. One day, maybe I will be....I just never think of selling...."

But one thing, for sure, if one of my children and I have two, one of each, needed something and I could provide it by selling my collection, I would do it in a hearbeat....including my coin collections....never bat an eye....

I think any or all of us would do the same thing.... I'm just sorry that your daughter is having a rough time of it. Daughters are certainly special people....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 935
posted
My not always easy approach is to try to own the watches and not let them own me, which especially helps when I realize that some of them are hardly ever fondled or worn. But the battle is not over as I realize that I have some nice watches that remain untouched. Perhaps worse yet, I keep being attracted by other watches I don't yet have. Right now I am looking at some Breitling and JLC models that are almost difficult for me to resist.

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
posted
Mortimer

I have recently taken to swapping a couple of watches in my collection. That way I can change my collection - perhaps move up.

I recently swapped two of my watches for one I wanted from a dealer. I left a good profit in the watches for the dealer so he was happy and made more money than taking the cash. For my part I was desperately keen to acquire the watch he had.

And I think that we should always remember that we are only the custodians never the owners of the watches we hold.

Kind Regards

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007