Internet Horology Club 185
Collectors - What tempts you to part with the watch you loved?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/1511020333

January 30, 2009, 16:19
Clive Driscoll
Collectors - What tempts you to part with the watch you loved?
As a modest collector I find it hard to part with watches I like, especially if I have worked on them.

But sometimes I see something that I wish to fund and I am tempted to part with some of my treasures.

So what is it that tempts you to part with the watch you once loved.

Have you ever regretted it?

Just a bit of fun.

CLive
January 30, 2009, 16:23
Tom Brown
Clive

Well I miss them but I have to sell to buy more plus I enjoy working on them more than owning them I guess.

About the only one's I wouldn't sell are my dad's, my wife's grandfather's & one my wife bought me.

Now if I had all the money in the world I would never let one go but such is life.

Tom
January 30, 2009, 19:52
Steve Gossard
Once years ago I traded a Waltham Ball for an English verge fusee pair case. I still have mixed emotions about that. Glad I got the one, sorry I lost the other. All in all, I don't regret it.
February 02, 2009, 16:12
Rick Vess
Great topic! If the attached Illinois Consul family seems to be missing something, it's because I traded away a terrific pinstripe dial Consul a year or 2 ago to thet the NOS 2-tone (2nd from left). Now that I've finally located a green example (2nd from left) I miss my old pinstripe one. Though, I am well aware that sometimes one has to break and egg...

Regards,

Illinois Consul

February 02, 2009, 20:36
Jerry King
Much to my wife's dismay, I have never sold any of my collectibles, Polaroid Camera's, Old Tube Radio's, Coin's or Watches.... Big Grin

I guess I'm just not a seller....yet. One day, maybe I will be....I just never think of selling....

With this economy the way it is though, who knows what is going to happen down the road.

Regards,
Jerry
February 07, 2009, 19:24
Jason M. Kays
Extra funds to justify the purchase of another? LOL. Shameless self-promotion segue: I have a beautiful 1918 Longines for auction now on the site.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...426021842/m/16610471
February 09, 2009, 19:55
Tony Dukes
Jason,
A few of us only collect. I am sure the day will come when I start to sell my collection ----but not today///// Smile
Tony
February 10, 2009, 07:26
Phillip Sanchez
Tony, I hope I will still be here when that day comes.

February 11, 2009, 21:32
James Shutts
I will part with my personal watches to fuel(pun intended) my true passion, CARS! I love classic cars & have sold off past collections to pay for them. I have a thing for convertibles. Three are in the stable as of now. I'm always looking to trade....
February 21, 2009, 16:49
Mario Pagani
Well, I basically never part from a thing I have bought ... a joke at home is that if a thing is not in our drawers has not been made yet. But I do sell watches. The idea is once I have known a watch, catalogued it if it doesn't have a definite feeling to me it has to go. This leaves space for others: may be I do not collect watches, I try to collect ... watchmakers ideas. Funny, isn't it?
February 23, 2009, 12:12
Mark Cross
Recently I've have chosen to part with a LOT of my collection in order to financially help one of our daughters, who is currently going through a particularily hard time in her life.

Regards! Mark
February 23, 2009, 12:23
Mario Pagani
Mark, I have two sons (and two nephews). You can imagine what I feel about. Well done, Sir.
February 23, 2009, 13:17
Mark Cross
Thank you, Mario. I do indeed understand. I have two daughters, a niece and nephew myself. You do what you have to do.

Regards! Mark
February 27, 2009, 17:30
David Abbe
Interesting, all too often I thought of my two daughters as being a particular hard time in MY life. But I love them both dearly so life goes on. Lordy, one is going on 50 in a few years! Eek
February 27, 2009, 23:25
Jerry King
Mark, I said, in an earlier post;

"I guess I'm just not a seller....yet. One day, maybe I will be....I just never think of selling...."

But one thing, for sure, if one of my children and I have two, one of each, needed something and I could provide it by selling my collection, I would do it in a hearbeat....including my coin collections....never bat an eye....

I think any or all of us would do the same thing.... I'm just sorry that your daughter is having a rough time of it. Daughters are certainly special people....

Regards,
Jerry
February 28, 2009, 14:17
Mortimer Schwartz
My not always easy approach is to try to own the watches and not let them own me, which especially helps when I realize that some of them are hardly ever fondled or worn. But the battle is not over as I realize that I have some nice watches that remain untouched. Perhaps worse yet, I keep being attracted by other watches I don't yet have. Right now I am looking at some Breitling and JLC models that are almost difficult for me to resist.
February 28, 2009, 15:43
Clive Driscoll
Mortimer

I have recently taken to swapping a couple of watches in my collection. That way I can change my collection - perhaps move up.

I recently swapped two of my watches for one I wanted from a dealer. I left a good profit in the watches for the dealer so he was happy and made more money than taking the cash. For my part I was desperately keen to acquire the watch he had.

And I think that we should always remember that we are only the custodians never the owners of the watches we hold.

Kind Regards

Clive