• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Meteor Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was wondering what Hamilton Electric box would be considered correct for a Hamilton Meteor. Would it be the "pillow" box or the flatter electric box?

Adam

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Best to ask the real expert at --

http://www.rondeau.net/

-- however, and as a guess only, the box below for early ones, and the pillow box for those sold later.

Dan

Electric box

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Dan,

Thanks for the information. I also believe it is the box you have pictured. I was curious because I bought a Meteor awhile ago that is as close to NOS as I will probably ever have. Looking at it now, I notice an indentation in the yellow bottom of the box that fits the curve of the watch perfectly. If it isn't original it has been in there for a very long time with the papers. I showed it to one person who buys Electric and he said it couldn't be original because it wasn't a pillow box. I didn't think he was correct as I thought they were introduced later.

Thanks,

Adam

IHC Life Member
posted
I believe the pillow box was early/mid 1960's.

I refer you to page 77 of the Dec. 1960 edition of the Coronet magazine, wherein is advertised a Meteor with band - while on page 73 is a picture of Hamiltons in a shop window, with among others, a Pacer with band, in the box I have shown above. So that means the 1960 Meteor box was also as above.

Get Coronet magazine for 1958, 1959. and 1960, all the December issue - these show pages of Hamiltons and even more useful pics. of watches in boxes in a shop window display.

dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
For Electric watches with leather straps rather than metal bands the flatter style of box was used in 1960.

Dan

Strap watch box

posted
Dan,

Thanks again. I will go see if I can find thos magazines. Here are a few pictures of the Meteor I was talking about.

Adam