Internet Horology Club 185
Hamilton Meteor Question

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/1481002691

July 12, 2006, 11:29
Adam Hutira
Hamilton Meteor Question
I was wondering what Hamilton Electric box would be considered correct for a Hamilton Meteor. Would it be the "pillow" box or the flatter electric box?

Adam
July 12, 2006, 18:17
Dan Mitchell
Best to ask the real expert at --

http://www.rondeau.net/

-- however, and as a guess only, the box below for early ones, and the pillow box for those sold later.

Dan

Electric box

July 12, 2006, 18:27
Adam Hutira
Dan,

Thanks for the information. I also believe it is the box you have pictured. I was curious because I bought a Meteor awhile ago that is as close to NOS as I will probably ever have. Looking at it now, I notice an indentation in the yellow bottom of the box that fits the curve of the watch perfectly. If it isn't original it has been in there for a very long time with the papers. I showed it to one person who buys Electric and he said it couldn't be original because it wasn't a pillow box. I didn't think he was correct as I thought they were introduced later.

Thanks,

Adam
July 12, 2006, 19:54
Dan Mitchell
I believe the pillow box was early/mid 1960's.

I refer you to page 77 of the Dec. 1960 edition of the Coronet magazine, wherein is advertised a Meteor with band - while on page 73 is a picture of Hamiltons in a shop window, with among others, a Pacer with band, in the box I have shown above. So that means the 1960 Meteor box was also as above.

Get Coronet magazine for 1958, 1959. and 1960, all the December issue - these show pages of Hamiltons and even more useful pics. of watches in boxes in a shop window display.

dan
July 13, 2006, 04:23
Dan Mitchell
For Electric watches with leather straps rather than metal bands the flatter style of box was used in 1960.

Dan

Strap watch box

July 14, 2006, 16:34
Adam Hutira
Dan,

Thanks again. I will go see if I can find thos magazines. Here are a few pictures of the Meteor I was talking about.

Adam