Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another Bulova automatic "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Here are some pics of a watch I got of eBay yesterday. Thoughts, opinions.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
those 23 jewels automatic are one of the best watches.IMHO

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
That should do it.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Phil, Thanks for your assistance with the pics. Regarding Bulova watches, how do you interperate the model numbering system, this watch is a 10BZAC, what do the number and letters mean, is this similar to what is used for pocket watches?

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Hi-- the 10 in the caliber is the general ligne size (here, actually 10 1/2 ligne) the first 1 or 2 digits in a Bulova model refer to the ligne size of the movement: 5AH =5 1/2 ligne, 8AE = 8 1/2 ligne, 11AF = 11 1/2 ligne, etc. The letter code is somewhat more obscure, sometimes hints at features 11ANACD is 11 1/2 ligne with automatic and date. One thing to watch for with the 10 1/2 ligne automatics is that the offset cannon pinion tends to crack and then slip, making it impossible to set the hands, and these pinions are all but impossible to find new.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
My interest in Bulova began because of the whale dials, the Sea King models, are these watches anything more than a dial variant, or a grade of their own.

IHC Member 1016
posted
I just picked up a Bulova 23 Jewel, Self Wind like this. Mine also has the 10BZAC movement which is unusual in that most I see on "the bay" are 10BPAC. I read William Thomas' post explaining the Ligne size but wonder about the relative quality and scarcity of this movement?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
The 23 jewel 10BZAC,and 10BZ are of top quality. They are not scarce, and they more often than not in working condition.

Posts: 77 | Location: Ilkeston in England | Registered: March 22, 2013
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice! The band?? not so much. Eek

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Nice movements and not that difficult to work on. These 23 jewel Bulova's were some the best made for the day. Your's looks to be in great condition. Enjoy!

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Gary, in answer to your question the whale is seen on the dials of Bulova Presidents, Sea Kings, Senators, and many kinds of Clippers, so that is one myth busted, as it has been said on one collectors site that only the Sea King model sported the whale.
Another myth, started on the same site by a supposed expert, is that the whale denotes a watch as waterproof.
Since the whale first appeared in 1969, and any watch by any maker were stopped from claiming a watch was waterproof from 1969-on, this is false. All adverts with Bulova watches having a whale on the dial are described in that ad as "water resistant", I know as I have collected thousands of Bulova ads, some from as early as 1919.

Posts: 77 | Location: Ilkeston in England | Registered: March 22, 2013
posted
Thanks Robert for the info. Since this post I've picked up a few more Bulovas, 69 Sea King, 67 Clipper, 57 Ambassador, 48 Duo Wind, 29 Revere, 35 Trident and some others I bought to resell. On a quest for a Wrist Alarm and a Military issue.

posted
few alarms ww

posted
and another bulova alarm