Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Model #2 Restoration Project "Click" to Login or Register

Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
This project is a Hamilton Model #2 case with the top - bow, crown, bar over crown, and top lugs of the case in bad shape. This case is for Larry Lamphier. This first picture is the worn out top of the case.

Worn out bow and crown

Posts: 296 | Location: Livingston, Tennessee USA | Registered: May 20, 2006
Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
another picture of the worn case

Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
In this picture you can see the badly worn lugs on the case frame itself. These will need to be replaced.

Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
this picture i have started to remove the old lugs ready for them to be replaced.

Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
this pic I have replaced 1 of the lugs picture is a little fuzzy sorry.

Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
this pic is with both lugs replaced, new crown, new cast replacement bow (made from an originial bow) and a new bar of the crown.

Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
another picture of the restoration

Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
and last one polished and ready to put the movement back in.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Leon,

Not bad for a do-it-yourself job! It's hard to imagine the sense of accomplishment you must get from making repairs on that level. Amazing!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I second what William said. I am truly amazed at the quality of the work. I'm sure the wait for the case I send will well be worth the wait. Can't believe how great the Hamilton case looks.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Fantastic job Leon! You literally brought this case back from "worn out" to "usable" condition.

I'm assuming you will also electroplate the worn-thru areas on the back, bezel and frame.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Simply a great job Leon....

Leon did one for me a few months ago, another Hamilton #2-BOC and the job was superb....not quite as extensive as was required for Larry's case but close....

Leon, I wouldn't call your work being that of a do-it-yourselfer....you are certainly a professional in the work you do my Friend and I really appreciate everything you have done for me and for every other member here at 185....you are one of a kind...!

Thanks again,

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
That's beautiful Leon. How did you do the lugs -- I assume you laser-welded them on, but did you use a section of gold tube, or did you fashion one yourself? A real nice job!
Pete Belmonte

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004