Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

DUDLEY MASONIC MODEL 2 RESTORATION "Click" to Login or Register

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Unbelievable Talent I would love to watch a true watch maker work. Here is a pic of one of mine I had but I got mine nice and clean. Razz
Unfortunately I had to sell mine when times got tight. Frown

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
At the Masonic Village in Elizabethtown, PA, they have five Dudley watches on display in their museum. One of the watches was William Wallace Dudley's personal watch. The Masonic Village is a large retirement community sponsored by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. Mr Dudley was one of the charter founders of the village and was a member of the board of directors for many years. Elizabethtown is about 20 miles northwest of Lancaster, PA. It is also about 10 miles north of Columbia, PA--home of the NAWCC museum. The Masonic Village museum is located in Grand Lodge building and is open to the public M-F, 9-5.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Robert, superb watch, excellent pictures.
Shame about selling, still thats the way of the world!

Tom, thanks for that informative information on Mr William Wallace Dudley.

I am at present compiling information on the "Dudley" and this thread is indeed a treat.

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
The Dudley is back home and running just fine. I was so happy to see it finished and back home. Frank did a wonderful job of finding the banking pin, finding and bluing new screws. He also did a great job of polishing the plates. I will let him post more on his work and the problems he encountered.
For my part the hardest thing was figuring out what Hamilton this was based on. We now know most parts can come from a 912. Many thanks to Jim Cope for supplying a complete balance for the project, after a little pivot polishing it worked perfectly. I want to also thank Lindell for his input and suggestions regarding the possibility of using a Hamilton 912 for parts.
Frank and I discussed re-plating the plates and collectively decided against it.
Thanks again to Lindell for offering some table space the watch will be on display at the National here in Cleveland. We hope to have a pictorial history of the restoration as well. It will be at the IHC table along with the Elgin that John Duvall and I did. I will also have the pink and green gold Longines with movable lugs on display.
A huge thanks to Frank for all his effort on the Dudley it looks like between the two of us we made it as good as it could be. Considering what it was like when I got it I am thrilled with the end result.
I think this project is a wonderful example of the benefit of the IHC chapter to horology.
The finished job is pictured below

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

What a wonderful "Rags-To-Riches" story!

Every Dudley is a singular statement of the watchmakers art.

It will be great to see this and other items on display at the IHC 185 tables in June.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Rich and Frank,

What a terrific job you have done on this timepiece.

Excellent pictures Rich!

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Hello, Robert.

Thanks for offer.

Yes, I would like the book.

Lets work something out!

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
I take my hat off to one and all!

What a superb accomplishment!

The "Dudley" looking absoloutely "MINTY!"

I shall treasure the pictures!

Timely regagrds.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Roy I appologize but Frank contacted me about it and I gave it to him if you need info from it contact him or I can photocopy it before I mail it to him in the morning.
I have to mention this because I feel honored to associate myself with such great craftsmen as Rich, Frank and many of the others with so much info thanks to all of you and especially Lindell for creating the 185

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Hello, Rob.

Thats OK mate!

Would you kindly copy and e-mail to me?

Thanks.

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...fantastic job Rich & Frank!!!taking it on 'tour' is a great idea..what a great boost to horological history you both have created!!!btw Roy has anyone ever told you that you bear an uncanny resemblance to WC himself!!! Smile

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Hello, Jim.

I must say I am begining to think so myself!

(Quite amazed that nobody had thought of using Mr Winston Churchill avatar!)

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

IHC Life Member
posted
Roy you should have a email with copy of the book and Frank the book is headed your way!!!!!!!! Smile

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
I thank you Robert.

E-mail received.

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Rob,

Thanks for the pamphlet! It will be a very good addition to the display. Smile

Best,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Morning, Frank.

Possible to have a photo of the "Dudley" display?

This would look good in my small "Dudley" collections.

Thanks.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

IHC President
Life Member
posted

This is great!

We'll all look forward to seeing it at the National Covention.

IHC Tables 209, 210 and 211 on display.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Hrrmmm, I wasn't there. Maybe Rich brought it along?

Frank "295" Kusumoto

IHC Member 638
posted
THE DUDLEY WAS THERE AT THE CONVENTION!

Rich graciously showed the watch to me after I spottd it in the NOT FOR SALE items in his watch case. Smile

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
A little follow-up. Robert V. Jones donated a very nice pamphlet "The Dudley Watch" to this effort. I've scanned it and put it up in the gallery. Here's the link.

Frank "407" Kusumoto

posted
Hi Frank, Nice job on the Dudley.

I was wondering what process, or product you used to blue the screws? Was it a hot blue, Cold blue,ect. I want to redo some pocket watch hands and I like the vibrant blue color. I stopped by a gun shop and all they could supply me with was a cold blue and it comes out amoust black.
Also where can I buy it. Thanks Mike..

Posts: 7 | Location: St. Helen, Michigan in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Welcome Aboard Mike!

Here is a recent topic "My First Attempt At Bluing Hands" where we got into the process in some detail.

Lindell

Wink

posted
Thanks ! , Thats great info. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Mike......

Posts: 7 | Location: St. Helen, Michigan in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2011