WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The Bunn Story...Part Two..."The 16 size 19 Jewel." "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
In this second series we are going to look at the 16 size 19 jewel Bunn Models. What is interesting about these magnificent timepieces is that they were made in four different models, the 8, 9, 11, and 14. The Model 8 was the Hunter version and was only made in one style while the remaining three were all open face and had several variants.

While all of them had several common features defining their construction and specifications such as Adjusted for temperature, five positions, and isochronism, ruby jewels in raised gold settings, gold balance screws and train wheels, and a patent regulater. They also all shared the Sunburst (3rd) pattern demaskeened nickel finish. These were lever set and stem wound. Also, none of these were cased at the factory.

So lets begin with the further breakdown of the models and their variants.

First off is the Model 8 Hunter movement. These were made in one run and one run only. 100 were produced in the serial number range from 2,658,501-2,658,600 in 1914. On the movement was marked "Bunn-Illinois Watch Co., Springfield-Adjusted Temp. & Five Pos’ns-jeweled Barrel-Double Roller.

Moving on to the open face models we have the first variant which was a model 9. These were made in 5 runs beginning at serial number 2,649,701-2,737,700 and had 1,700 produced. On the movement was marked "Bunn-Illinois Watch Co., Springfield-Adjusted Temperature, Five Positions-Jeweled Barrel-Double Roller. These probably would have had a Straight line Illinois double sunk enamel dial with bold Arabic numbers.

The next variant was quite similar to the previous model except there was a major difference in the jeweled barrel, it now had a 48 hour main spring incorporated into making a little more accurate through 24 hours. It also had the "Temp" abbreviation marked on the movement now. These were produced in only one run of 300 beginning at serial number 2,991,701-2,992,000 and all were made in 1916. These may have had a Straight line or Arched Illinois double sunk dial with bold Arabic numbers.

Some major changes came about in the third open face variant as a Motor Barrel upgrade was added to this model which moved it up to a Model 11. This was by far the most popular model as nearly 15,900 were produced in 36 runs beginning with serial number 3,207,001-4,598,300 through the years of 1917-1925. These movements were marked "Motor Barrel" but the 3 screws in the motor barrel are usually the easiest to spot right off.

Next we get into Model 14 movements which made a major change by adding the 60 HOUR Motor Barrel. These are my favorites because there were not many produced in each variant and the have all the quality, durability, and reliability of their big brothers that had the 21 and 23 jewels in them. These were slow sellers trying to compete with the larger jeweled counterparts so they never sold well. Many of them ended up being passed onto Hamilton after the takeover who in turn sent many of them out with Hamilton style dials and even Hamilton style hands. They were using parts left over from Illinois so some even had Sangamo style hands on them.

The first of the 60 HOUR, movements, also known as the Type I, simply had "Motor Barrel 60" marked on the Barrel Bridge. The serial number range was 4,598,301-4,726,200 and were produced in 1925-1926. 750 of these were produced in two runs but should be noted that the second run of 100 was a split run of Type I and II’s.

The only difference between the Type I and Type II is the double markings of the Type II. Not only does it have "Motor Barrel 60" on the barrel bridge but also has "SIXTY HOUR" on the train bridge under the Springfield lettering. The serial number range on this is 4,726,001-4,780,500 and were produced in three runs in 1926 and totaled about 1100 or thereabouts. First run was a split run of Type I’s and the third run was a split run of Type III’s.

The Type III was simply marked "SIXTY HOUR" on the train bridge. The serial number range on these were 4,780,001-4,839,000 and were also produced in three runs in 1926 and totaled about 1700. The first run was a mixed run with Type II’s.

The exact numbers of production of the 60 HOUR models can not be determined exactly as it is not known the correct distribution of the mixed runs. Needless to say, these are all truly amazing timepieces and met all the railroad standards at the time they were produced.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is a photo of the Hunter movement. There were only 100 of these made in one run. I saw one of these sell on ebay last year and it was in pretty bad shape. It went for about $3600.00

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the one that started it off, literally, it is the lowest numbered 19 jewel Bunn at 2,649,701. This came out with the 40 hour main spring in the jeweled barrel.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the second variant. It was introduced with the 48 hour main spring. "Temp." replaced the "Temperature" on the previous model.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the third variant. This became the Model 11 with the addition of the "Motor Barrel". This movement went to Ball Canada and is housed in a very nice BALCO Canadian case.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
This was the beginning of the Model 14 in the 19 jewel variants. It simply stated "Motor Barrel 60" on the barrel bridge to designate the 60 hour mainspring making it a Type I.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
The Type II was double marked with "Motor Barrel 60" on the barrel bridge and "60 HOUR" on the train bridge. Note this has one of the rare "Fat six, Flat Three, arrows in" Montgomery dial. Placement of the six in the center of the seconds sink previously caused .25 cent royalties payment to Montgomery for his patent.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the final variant, the Type III. Only "60 HOUR" appears on the train bridge. Here again is an unusual make up of dial and hands. Hamilton used some 992 style dials and remarked them with Illinois on the face of the dial. The Sangamo hands were probably left over and sitting around and rather than waste them they used them up. Anything to save a buck and get rid of the slow selling movements.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Well there you have it....a brief history of the 19 jewel 16 size Bunn. Feel free to comment, ask questions, or post pictures of your movements.

Steve

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great work Steve,

This will raise awareness about these previously under-appreciated watches.

An outstanding addition to your The Bunn story...Part One... "The 16 size 17 jewel."

Lindell

Wink

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Just to add to a couple of other of these fine movements.....here is a Type III 60 Hour in a like new CWC Co. swing out case. Here again is an example of Hamilton trying to get rid of some old movements by putting on a 992 style dial with the Hamilton style hands.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is a Type I in a more traditional arrangement sporting a typical Arabic arrows in dial and in a Keystone Rail Road case. The arrows in were being phased out around this time and the new arrows out would be appearing on the Bunn Specials.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is a Type II with an very nice Montgomery dial and in a drop dead gorgeous Illinois Case Co. 10k gold filled case.

posted
Another excellent post, Steve! Great camera work and very informative. These also make for good "quick reference" sources when amateurs like me go feral trying to keep the Variants and the Types straight Roll Eyes.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Steve,

A really nice summary and wonderful pictures. Nice to have all of this information in one place and easily accessible.

Great job! Smile

John III

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Very nicely DUN Steve. Very educational.

Thanks
Wayne

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
What was pointed out to me regarding the "Fat Six, Flat Three, Arrows in Dial" mentioned up above is that actually the patent which was taken out in 1906 by Mr. Montgomery was only good for 20 years. Thus this 1926 dial with the Fat six in the center of the seconds sink was made after the patent expired and made a statement saying "no quarter for you mister"

Steve

posted
Thank you Steve for such in depth information.
I am now able to identify my 19j Bunn as a third variant model 11...Thanks again, very interesting.

Ray

posted
Thank you for your thorough report. My Illinois Bunn 16S 19J serial #2,724,148 is indeed a model 9 with a Gothic Montgomery dial and has ILLINOIS in arched script.

posted
Thanks for a very interesting post, I have a Bunn 19 j in the frankenstien case I think I bought from Ray Hallenback, I know it is a fine runnig time piece, Thanks again Jeff

posted
Great story on the evolution of the 19J Bunn 16s.

It looks like they were all RR grade except for the Hunter case watches.

RBL

posted
I have the opportunity to acquire a 16S 19J Bunn 60HR Type III variant and would like to know what a fair price is for this model. Thanks in advance for your kind help.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Pedro,

A lot depends on the condition and originality of course but these are quite hard to find. If it is in nice condition expect to pay $500 or more. Less than that and you are getting a good deal IMHO. I have a dozen or so of these and they are my favorites because they are so hard to come across. I haven't seen one on ebay for months now.

Steve

posted
Thanks to all for your expertise and timely information. I will continue to look for a Type II or III 19J 60hr Bunn. If you have any leads, please let me know.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
I have added this link "A tale of two Bunns" because it brings out some new (at least to this original post) information about some inaccuracies in the actual numbers of model 9's that were produced. The total number of the second variant should be 400 instead of 300.

Thanks to Terry Jones for bringing this to my attention when he emailed me telling me had purchased a model 9 with serial number 3,030,929 which reinforces the statements I made in the attached post above.

Steve

posted
great job Steve , collecting would not be nearly as interesting if the records were all laid out and accurate !

IHC Member 1555
posted
quote:
it is the lowest numbered 19 jewel Bunn at 2,649,701

I know this is an old thread but I have come across a nice 19 jewel only 114 away from yours Steve, serial 2649815.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Bila, a sigh of relief came over me, I thought you were going to say you found 3031114 and that would have ended my theory of having the last model 9 ( A tale of two Bunns). Congratulations on your find, they are a beautiful and reliable running watch.

Steve

IHC Member 1008
posted
I HAVE A 19 JEWEL RED LETTER 16 SIZE BUNN # 3030950. HOW DOES THIS FALL IN LINE.RON.G

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Ron,

Very interesting. If you read my post regarding the Model 9 story you will notice your watch is 50 serial numbers away from the last one produced. According to the data base your watch should be a 21 jewel Bunn Special but obviously it is not and adding more wood to the fire dispelling the accuracy of that database and thus confirming my theory of owning the last 19 jewel 16 size Bunn produced.