Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

R.W. Sears case question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1824
posted
I picked up an 18 size Illinois (year 1887 s/n 703772) that is cased in a gold filled hunter R.W. Sears (#86240) case. Checked the forums and not much info on the cases by Sears (did find that in 1886 Sears began the R.W. Sears Watch Company in Minn). Would anyone know if it is possible that the case could have been the same time period? I like the case and it is in great shape so will not re-case the movement but was real curious about any history on Sears cases.

Thanks,
Michael

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
R.W.Sears Wikipedia

Given +/- on the manufacture date of the watch and allow some lag time for it's retail sale it is feasible that they are an original combo.

I have not seen anything on who made the cases.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
The R.W. Sears Watch Co. in Minneapolis & Chicago was an Illinois private label. They had unmarked sunk-seconds inside circle dials and were sold in R.W. Sears or Dueber Watch Case Co. 20 year YGF cases (see Meggers & Ehrhardt Illinois Watch Co. Encyclopedia, page 255). A picture of the dial is shown on page 281, Figure 5.

I'm moving this topic to the Illinois forum.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Michael, it appears as reported in the Meggars-Ehrhard "Gold Book" (below) your case was made by Deuber, though some were only marked R.W. Sears. Overall with the watch inside you have a very valuable collectible piece of History.

Note, for more information look at Roy Ehrhardt's highly researched "Volume 2" Encyclopedia of Illinois Watches.

IHC Member 1824
posted
Thanks all but I am afraid I did not mention it is not a Sears marked watch (only the case is Sears) but is a #4 Railroader in the case. So perhaps not so valuable....sorry for any confusion.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
You win "double". The Railroader is quite valuable, the case is very valuable and that dial is extraordinary! There has to be a "story" behind this beauty.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Great info Dave.

Micheal, can you post a pic of the Sears logo that is on the case? And the movement while you are at it.

Yes I like that dial as well. I bought one like it just because I think they are purdy.

IHC Member 1824
posted
Thanks for the info David. Lorne, I will be happy to post the pic's this weekend. I just got the watch and have not had time to take some photos but will tomorrow.

IHC Member 1824
posted
Posting a few pix as requested....movement

IHC Member 1824
posted
Name on case, above name is some brassing not a company mark..

IHC Member 1824
posted
Front and back case has same design...

IHC Member 1824
posted
Case in pretty good shape, hinges are good and lids all close tight..

IHC Member 1824
posted
Another dial shot, can't see in pix but hands in great shape, nice and blue!

IHC Member 1824
posted
Wow...sorry pix are so big. I use Lightroom and got the size down to under 200k so not sure why they post so hugh.

IHC Member 1824
posted
Thanks to Debbie for correcting the “poster size” photos for me (I know how to do it now!).

Would really appreciate if some of you experienced members would give an opinion about what the case and movement (each) might be worth. I have the Fat book so know what it says but what does your experience suggest for a value? Would like to know what I have here, I have no plans to sell as a Railroader was on my list, just want to understand possible worth.

Thanks,
Michael

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted

IHC Member 1541
posted
Was this case before or after the R.W. Sears marked case?

posted
I have a case with the exact same markings. It is on a Hamilton 992 ,serial number 1088081.The case has the number 833353. When I found this watch it had a case paper for A C Roebuck. The paper has since fallen apart.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Kind of an odd combination in that it could be SEARS & Sears Roebuck Co. or perhaps SEARS & Richard Sears Co.

This from the Wikipedia piece on R.W. Sears

In 1887 Sears moved his company to Chicago, an important transportation center for the Midwestern United States, and moved his residence to nearby Oak Park, Illinois. In 1887 he also hired watch repairman Alvah Curtis Roebuck to repair any watches being returned. Roebuck was Sears's first employee, and he later became co-founder of Sears, Roebuck & Company, which was formed in 1893 when Sears was 30 years old. Roebuck left the growing company a few years later, and Sears went on with a new business partner, clothier Julius Rosenwald, who became president of the business in 1908 upon Sears' retirement at age 44.
The first Sears catalog was published in 1893 and offered only watches. By 1897, items such as men’s and ladies clothing, plows, silverware, bicycles and athletic equipment had been added to the offering.