• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is there an Illinois list to look up my movement number? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Is there on-line a list which relates Illinois watch movement sizes to serial number ? So that for example, I can find out the movement size of number 2064322, supposedly from 1907.

DM

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Dan,

Illinois production numbers are contained beginning on page 326 in "Volume 2 American Pocket Watches, Illinois Watch Co." by William "Bill" Meggers and Roy Ehrhardt, which collectors consider the Illinois Encyclopedia is a great resource for the serious Illinois Collector. However, due to its formidable cost and limited availability many choose to ask here and we are always pleased to look up the numbers.

Your number 2064322 is an 0-size, Pendant-Set, Hunter-Cased, 15-Jewel, Model 2, Grade 35 from 1908 production according to the factory listings.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

IHC Life Member
posted
There is one more please ---

Movement number 5514697

Dan.

posted
Looks like 5514697 is 6/0s, Pendant-Set, Hunter-Cased, 17 jewel, Model 4, Grade 607. I think that it is probably from 1933 or 1934. The book says "Moved to Hamilton" in 1933 and your serial number (range) is not listed with a specific date.

I imagine they mean movement production but I am not sure. Perhaps it took several years after Illinois Watch Co. was purchased by Hamilton to get all the equipment residing in a new space. Someone else will know I'm sure.

IHC Life Member
posted
This is the movement - discussion of the complete watch is over on the Wristwatches forum, using an "unknown/unrecorded" title.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/9921008772

Hamilton 607

IHC Life Member
posted
Tim above said -- "-- The book says "Moved to Hamilton" in 1933--"

Which book ? And what is meant by this - do you mean movement production, or something else ?

DM

posted
While cleaning upat my dads,my daughter found a couple of watches . Both are wrist watches one is a Hamilton the other is a Illinois, I know nothing about either, we could not get the back cover off the Hamilton , but we were able to get the cover off the other it has a serial number in 2 places both say 6549244 , my daughter likes it because the seconds hand is at 9. Can someone tell me where I can find info for her . Thanks So Much Kenny

posted
Hamilton took over Illinois in January of 1928. In late 1932 they could no longer justify the cost of operating two factories and transfered all production to Lancaster, PA.

Don

posted
Kenny,

I bet that if you posted a photo of each watch, any number of us would be happy to help out. Smile

Rick

posted
I have an 18s Illinois serial number for someone to look up if they don't mind. It is 883126. It is a friend of mine's grandfather's grandfathers watch, so it has been in the family quite some time! it is in remarkably good shape, and I will try to post some pictures as I can. I found the date in the Complete Guide as 1888, but I can't seem to get the size, and grades to match up in any of the diagrams there. It is KW, KS, but the kicker is that the only jewels I can see thus far is in the top of the balance. I admit, I have not pulled it completely apart, as I have not done this before on a full plate, but I would think there would be jeweling on at least the fork as well. Anyway,it also seems to be an all brass plates design, maybe gilt, I am not sure. Also, it is in a coin silver hunting case, with a few "love taps" but it polished up quite nicely! The balance moves somewhat freely, when prodded, but the mainspring is broken, so I will have to get to that first! It is also missing the seconds hand and the key.
Sorry this is so long, but I am new, and didn't know what info to include.
Regards,

Glenn Howell

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Elijah, FIRSTLY DO NOT "Prod" the balance wheel any more! That WILL damage the Pallet Fork AND break or lose the Roller Pin jewel which pretty much ends the life of that watch unless you find a real genius to help fix it, or "cheat" and put in a metal pin.

As for your question about the watch, pg 338 of the "Illinois Bible" records an assignment of 20,000 serial #'s 870,000-890,000 as 18 size Hunter Case Key Wind & Set 7 Jewel Model 1 "IWC grade" watches. How many were actually delivered remains a mystery of history, but the 7 jewels include 2 on the Pallet Fork, 1 on the Roller, and 4 (2 pair) of Capped Pivot Jewels on the Balance wheel. Quite enough to make a good timekeeper when maintained. This is one I have recently cleaned and runs perfectly in my collection. It is a little earlier than yours, so your regulator may look different, but they are fundamentally the same.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Illinois made real beauties from day 1, thats "for sure".

posted
Thanks so much for the info!
Just so no one is too alarmed by the "prodding" I used one of the hand driers to "blow" the balance wheel back and forth a bit, a trick an e-friend told me to use to check to see if the staff was broken in a movement, as long as I don't go silly doing this, I was told it was ok. Was I misinformed? If so, rest assured, I will not resort to that again!
Thanks again to all,

Glenn Howell

posted
David,
I need to get a key for this watch. Do you think the key sizes are the same for your watch, and the one I have? If so what size would that be? I don't have any bench keys, I was going to stay away from these type of watches, but maybe I need to at least get a set of keys, just in case!
That is a beautiful watch, I just love the heft of a large case, and an 18s movement!
Regards,

Glenn Howell

posted
Glenn,
I was just checking Dashto's site for parts and they have keys for sale from 3.00 for a 4 prong key to 20.00 for a full set of single keys. The site is DASHTO.COM and check the pocket watch tools section.
Good luck, the key winds are great. Like having a small clock in your pocket Smile
Ray

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Glenn,

Ray's recommendation of having a full set of watch keys is a good idea. Once you determine the correct size you can order one to keep with your watch, but having a set of keys at your watch bench will also be handy in the future.

Don

posted
Glenn,
I checked my Illinois key wind watches and they all seem to take a size 4 key. I happen to have a baggie full of them that I found in a cabinet here so if you e mail me your address I will send one to you pronto..

Ray

posted
Sorry it took so long to post, I have been a bit under the weather. Thanks for the offer, I will email you.
Regards,

Glenn Howell

posted
I just tried to click your name to message you or get your email address, and the system didn't let me, even though I am a member. If you can find a way to let me give you my email address, let me know.
Thanks,

Glenn Howell

posted
To everyone,
Thanks so much for the info on where to get the keys, etc. I will get on that as soon as I can!
Regards,

Glenn Howell

posted
Glenn,
Try this: bcmc26129@aol.com
Ray

IHC Life Member
posted
Can anyone help with the size of this movement please ----

"Illinois Springfield 11 Jewels 2497812"

Is it 0-size, or something else.

Dan.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Looks right Dan,

The "Illinois Encyclopedia" shows 2497812 as 0-size, pendant set, hunter, 11j, model 2 and grade 33 from late 1912 production.

Don

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks - and I bought it, being 0-size.

posted
Ray, I have sent you an email.
Thanks,
Glenn

Glenn Howell

IHC Member 1016
posted
While you are looking up serial numbers would someone please tell me which model an Illinois 18s with sn 2455564 is. I'm thinking it's a Model 5 as it is a Hunter case movement. Thanks to all.

Mike

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Mike,

Your number 2455564 is listed as 18-size, Lever-Set, Hunter, 17-Jewels, a Model 5 as you thought Smile and from 1912 production.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Lindell, Glad you are back. I will put this into a nice Dueber Hunting Case that I have had for some time. It should look real nice.

posted
Glenn,
I mailed you a size 4 key today, hope it works for you.

Ray

posted
Ray,
I received the key late last week,thank you SO much!

Now for the next item needed...A 4th wheel for this watch. I was pulling the second hand off, and what do you know, th rusted pinion came with it! Any one out there with a complete 4th wheel for this watch, and maybe a second hand too? If so, please let me know.
Regards,

Glenn Howell

posted
Your welcome Glenn, glad I could help.

Ray

posted
Any one with a lead on that 4th wheel, even know someone that knows someone, will help a lot. Thanks everyone for all the help so far!

Glenn Howell

IHC Life Member
posted
Could someone please get me the size - (0-size ?) of Illinois mvt. number 2186572