• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ID a 1926 Illinois P-Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Newbie here. Father-in-law has terminal cancer. Last night he passed his Dad's pocket watch on to my wife. She'd like to know more about it. Serial # is 4823677. 17 Jewel. Inside plate measures 1.435" diameter. Does anyone know size & model, how to set the time (winds / runs well but stem won't pull up to set time), and is there anyone out there that could do a moderate cleaning of it? Wife would love to show it to her Dad after a little TLC. Thanks so much for any info / advice!

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Brian,

Sorry to hear the grim news of your Father-in-law, may you and your families remain strong during these hard times.

Regarding your watch, it is a 12 size, 17 jewel, model 3, grade 406 pocket watch. It is stem wound and pendant set meanining if you pull up on the crown (the winder) it should pop up and you can set the time push back down to wind. It was made in 1926.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Your watch appears to be in very nice condition.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Brian

Welcome to our club, which it could be under better circumstances, sorry to hear of your father-in-laws ill health.

Your Illinois is a size 12, 17 jewel pendent set open face model 3 grade 405. It was made in 1926. This model was made from 1911-1929 for a total of 390,360.

The stem should pull out to set the time but it may be frozen in place from lack of use, do not try to force it, it should be serviced if it won't pull up.

It should have jewels in settings, gold beveled & polished center wheel & patent regulator.

The engraving on the movement should be either red or black filled.

One person I could recommend for servicing the watch is Chris Abell of this club, he is located in Texas. I will locate his info & post it, unless he answers up in the mean time.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well Brian, looks like me & Steve have different grades. He is probably correct, he is a bigger Illinois expert than me, my info says 405.

I guess we were both typing at the same time

Brian, Chris' website address is;
http://www.abellwatchmakers.com/

Tom

posted
Wow, this site doesn't waste any time at providing information!
I certainly will pass on your kind words to my wife. And I'm sure she'll be thrilled to know a little more about her watch. I would like to find Chris Abell's location so that I could inquire in to having the watch cleaned up a bit.
Thank you all again for the information. Reading some these posts is absolutely fascinating (engineer at a CNC machine shop). I can feel the bug starting to catch me.

posted
Here's a pic of the moevement for those that are curious.
Thanks again for the information.
Brian

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice looking watch Brian!

This is Chris' email address;
Abellwatchmakers@nctv.com

Chris Abell, Watchmaker

Tom

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
That is a great looking watch, Brian, and one that you will want to keep for years to come....

It will give you and your wife great pleasure and it is good that your first thought was to clean it up....it's not bad now by any means....

Steve and Tom have given you some great information and I certainly can vouch for Chris and his work....You will not recognize your watch when you receive it back, it will look as when your wife's grandfather first bought it many years ago....Chris restored my grandfather's Elgin and I could not believe the difference he made in the watch....

If you should be so inclined, we would love to have you join our club, it's only $12.00 / year and by doing so you will have full access to all our forums including our 'Members Only Auction' in which our members from time to time will offer watches from their collections for sale....

Here is a place you can click on and it will take your directly to our Club Membership Forum

Hope to see you back real soon and especially after you have Chris look at your wife's watch....

Regards,
Jerry

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Tom,

Typo on my part....it is a grade 405.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks everyone, I have emailed Brian with detials.
Have not been as dilegent checking posts Smile

posted
Hello all,
Indeed Chris did email me right away and he's provided me with all the information needed to get the watch serviced.
What a great group of folks on this forum. I just may have to take you up on joining the forum as a member.
Thanks again!
Brian H

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Brian

We would be more than happy to have you join, you will not find a better bargain for your money.

You will be more than happy with Chris' work.

Glad we could be of some help & again my prayers are with your family.

Tom