Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A good light box? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Can anyone make a recommendation on a good light box for an amateur?

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Donald, a search for Light Box will get you 127 results, lots to read.

I have one but since there is not an area for me to leave it set up I find I don't use it much.

My pics may suffer but the kitchen counter with light coming in from windows on two sides works for me.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Thanks Lorne. I know what you mean by all the hits. That's why I was asking, to narrow it down. What one did you buy and do you find it easy to use? I too don't have a place to leave it set up so portability would be nice.

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
posted
Eric Unselt sold a beautiful light box that he made on this site some time ago. Was beautifully crafted. you might check with him

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Mine is very similar to this, the lights and stand fold up and are stored in pockets so it is reasonably compact and easy to store. +/- $40 pretty well anywhere. Simple to use.

Those halogen lamps get pretty hot so be careful although I am sure you can find one with different lights, some would prefer fluorescent.

I think most people would flip it over in use.

The 16" is fine for watches but you can get a 24".

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
got one just like that one
take picture at hi resolution using macro mode (little flower on some cameras)and them resize that picture to 640X480 and you will have good sharp picture in under 200k

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Thanks for all the good info!

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
A tent is the way to go. I have a 12 inch folding tent with different colors for it and I also use it to install roller jewels and small objects that tweezers often spit out. If you are working inside the tent it can't go that far and it's better than crawling around on the floor.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Great idea! Thanks.