Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

BRT Building in Oneonta New York "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
Larry,

Do you or anyone have a old picture or post card picture of the BRT Building in Oneonta NY before it was taken down in the 6o's ?

If so can you email it to skip.glascock@gmail.com or of course post it here.

Thanks in advance.

Skip

Posts: 240 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: August 26, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
on ebay I foind some of these at . . .

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html...=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
And many more cards including this at . . .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Po...&hash=item3370c89bd3

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Here is a Panarama of the Business section of Oneonta....

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
Thanks guys, I am looking for a front shot of where my baby was housed. Cornerstone from (maybe inside) of the first BRRT building in NY. For more, see this previous topic...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6042471/m/3933953867

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
E.V. Debs Lodge No. 1 Brotherhood of Railroad Brakemen receipt for Lodge dues from member Brother Elmer Wessel, (one of the eight men formed the brotherhood September 23, 1883) this is from August 1884 for one dollar signed by the Financier Elmer Weaver. At the time the brotherhood organized in 1883 and was assisted by Eugene Victor Debs who at that time was the Grand Sec. and Treas. of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, and was also the Editor of their magazine, he helped a lot of other new railway unions start out, with financial assistance, stationary, and advice on organizing. In 1893 he left the B. of L.F. to form a new industrial union for all railway workers called the American Railway Union that was very successful and many members of the other brotherhood's and order's soon joined. This culminated in 1894 during the Pullman strike when Pres. Grover Cleveland sent in the National Guard to and this labor dispute.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is a clipping about Daniel Hopkins Lodge No. 1, Oneonta, New York. The name of the Lodge was changed after 1893 due to E.V. Debs involvement with the American Railway Union then the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen lost members to.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The directory of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen from February, 1896 shows Subordinate Lodge 1 DANIEL HOPKINS, Oneonta, New York meets 1st and 3rd. Sunday 2:30 PM I.O.R.M. (Improved Order of Red Men) hall, on the corner of Main and Chestnut Streets

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The directory of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen from November, 1899 shows Subordinate Lodge 1 DANIEL HOPKINS, Oneonta, New York meets 1st and 3rd. Sunday 2 PM K. of P. (Knights of Pytheas) hall,

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The directory of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen from February 1906 shows Subordinate Lodge 1 DANIEL HOPKINS, Oneonta, New York meets 1st and 3rd. Sunday 2 PM. K. of P. (Knights of Pytheas) hall, Ford Block, Main

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The directory of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen from September 1941 shows Subordinate Lodge 1 DANIEL HOPKINS, Oneonta, New York meets 2nd and 4th. Monday 7:30 PM. I.O.O.F. (International Order of Odd Fellows) 36 Chestnut

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Postcard view of the Birthplace Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, September 23, 1883, Oneonta New York my guess this would be the Knights of Pytheas Hall in the Ford block on Main Street, as the meeting place in 1896 was on the corner of Main and Chestnut Streets.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is a Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen directory from 1950

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen directory 1950 Daniel Hopkins Lodge No. 1 still meeting in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall at 36 Chestnut

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
From what I've researched the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen did not have a building in Oneonta New York, as you can see from these directories Lodge No. 1 met at halls the I.O.R.M. in the 1890s, and the Knights of Pytheas in the early 1900s, and later on in the International Order of Odd Fellows right up until the 1950s.

These directories also indicate that the Grand Lodge headquarters were located in Peoria, Illinois until 1899, when they moved to Cleveland Ohio and were located in the American Trust Building, in 1921 they built their own headquarters building at 820 Superior Street this 10 story building was their home until the 1940s when they sold the building and moved their offices to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineer's Standard Building. This makes me wonder if Skip's Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen cornerstone may have come from the building in Cleveland.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen building entrance details.

Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
Larry,

Thank you so much for all your research, I thought maybe this building was it based on one of your other posts. But then I am confused because this building says it in Okotoks Alberta Canada.

Thanks again Larry.

Skip

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Skip:

My home address is in Okotoks, Alberta, Canada maybe that is what confused you. They had many anniversary celebrations in Oneonta, New York including the 75th, and 85th before they merged the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen into the United Transportation Union in 1969. I will keep researching and hopefully find something about the cornerstone being presented to Lodge No. 1

Larry

Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
That's exactly what was confusing me. Shee, dum, dum, ME.. Larry I really appreciate all of you research and help. You are the master of research.

Thanks again Larry.

Skip

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Skip:

Here are two more views of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen Building, and Cleveland, Ohio this one is the elevator lobby.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
A view of the entrance vestibule.

posted
Cleveland building now

Here is the same building currently.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
Hi Claude,

Great idea, hadn't thought about that. It's cool to see old shots then new. I'm thinking road trip.

Thanks

Skip

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
A photo without the UPS delivery van

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
820 Building, Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen (Charles Snyder, 1921) 820 Superior Avenue

So as not to be upstaged by the rival Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Building at Ontario and St. Clair, the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, a large and influential trade union, had this classically inspired structure built to house union headquarters.

The building is a brick, curtainwall structure faced in Indiana limestone with the tile and concrete interior. Although appearing to have nine stories, it is, in fact, a ten story building. The semi-hidden tenth floor is accessible from the ninth floor and was constructed to house the executive offices. The main lobby's restored frescoed ceiling is of particular note as is the sculpted frieze above the main entrance. In 1985 the 820 Building was rehabilitated and now houses modern offices.

Architect and native Clevelander Charles Schneider studied architecture in Paris, Schneider, in conjunction with nationally known New York architect George B Post, designed many buildings in and around Cleveland. Together they designed the Hotel Statler (now the Statler Office Building) Stan Hywet Hall in Akron Ohio, and Wade Park Manor (Judson Manor) in University Circle. Later, in his own office, he designed the Plymouth Church and the City Hall in Shaker Heights.

Organized in September 23, 1883 with 1780 members, the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen moved to Cleveland from Peoria, Illinois in 1899. By World War II, the union had 215,000 members. It stayed at this location from 1921 until the early 1940's.

The 820 Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Cleveland Landmark.

Here is the ninth floor plan, showing the offices of the Pres. William G. Lee who lead Brotherhood from 1909 to 1928.

This building survived at least, the Engineers Building was torn down in 1987, so a Marriott Hotel could be built where it stood.5

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
By chance that isn't Skips placard above the elevators?

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I think those are the elevator floor indicators, Tom....I could be wrong though....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I would have to agree with Jerry, they looked like elevator floor marker indicators to me.

Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Perhaps you guys are right, just guessing on my part, I thought they looked like the BRT symbol.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
I hope that isn't my cornerstone...... There are two of them and I am hoping I have the only ONE Smile

All of this wonderful information, you guys and gals are the greatest.

Skip