Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Summer on the Heber Valley Railroad "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
I carried several different Hamilton Pocket Watches this last summer on a Double Albert chain in an attempt to "Maintain the Image" of a "Conductor." Attached is a picture in the summer heat where I am "hanging on during a talk with the Engineer.........

The CONDUCTOR

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Great photo Paul. SmileThanks for posting here. we all enjoy seeing these.
Do you have others?

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Yes, I do, Phillip! Photos number in the 100's as I had a Lady that loved to shoot pictures. Would you like to see a few more?

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Here's one that shows my "Chain" better even though I'm not sure which watch I had on. Believe it was a Model 2 Hamilton 992-B. The second picture is of the Caboose, decorated as a Union Pacific style No. 3900.

Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Here's the Caboose, (3900)!

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Very nice Paul. I have featured this topic (moved to the top)So that it will be easier to find. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Thanks, Phillip! I tried to "Edit this Caboose Post" and add some more information about it but for some reason, it says I have to be a Member to do that.....GLITCH here! Am Member... Oh Well, it will get fixed sometime soon I would guess. So Instead.........
This is the very First all Metal Caboose manufactured. It was delivered to the Union Pacific Rail Road in 1941. It was retired in the 80's and sat in a yard where it became a Transient Home of sorts. The Inside was about a foot deep with litter and debris when acquired by the Heber Valley Railroad. It has been "Restored" and is the Pride of the Cabooses there now. The Original UP number, 3900, was found when scraping off the layers and layers of paint accumulated over the years. From there, research confirms the story above! Hope this is of interest to you Rail Fans. When I am able to Edit a Post, I will post information about the Engine above, number 1068 and some of its history.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Paul, there is only a very short time period in which to edit a post. Just post the new info and mention it references a former post.

Most everyone here who collects RR watches, is interested in the goings on with railroads and railroaders.

I will create a shortcut to this posting in the pocket watch discussions forum so more folks will get an opportunity to see it. Smile

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Paul for sharing your pictures with us!

Looks like you are having a grand time.

Debbie Smile

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Thanks everyone! As a Rail Fan myself with an HO Scale layout at home, I found it very fun to "Play trains where the scale is 1 Foot = 12 inches!"

To the Engine at the beginning of this Post, 1068, It is a Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation, built in July of 1907, (We celebrated its Birthday on July 7, 2007), and delivered to the Oregon Short Line. The Oregon Short Line was absorbed by Union Pacific in the 50's and 1068 was acquired and Union Pacific re-numbered it as 618. It was later given to the Utah State Fairgrounds where it sat until about 1970. It was then moved to Heber City, fired up after some maintenance and has been in operation ever since. It was only painted back as 1068 for its Birthday last year when it turned 100 years old. It is now going to get a complete Overhaul and will come back as Union Pacific 618. More Trivia for those interested!

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hi Paul
The more pictures the better.
I always like to look. I have lived in Fostoria Ohio and just recently moved about 20 minutes away to Findlay.
Fostoria is known as a train town, we had about 200 trains go thru every 24 hours. There are several places in town people set up vidio cameras to shoot them as they pass by.
I have seen licence plates from N.& S. Carolina, New Jersey, Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania among others. One man I talked to was visiting familiy in West Virginia and decided to drive the 5 more hours up here to "watch the Trains"
Intersting huh.

Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
posted
Well..... how'd the 992B do? I bet you had to fuss with the time every couple of hours eh? You wished you had a Bunn Special, didn't you? Tell the truth now Big Grin

Thanks for the pics!
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Thanks for the photos, Paul.
Is this standard gauge or narrow? Is this the Heber Creeper, or is that something else?
The OSL built the original railroad thru Deer Lodge, Mt. where I was a Signal Maintainer for 15 years for the NPRR and BN. Some of the old rail was still visible west of Silver Bow, Mt. It was narrow gauge when it was laid through Deer Lodge from Silver Bow to connect with the NPRR at Garrison, mt.
Looking for more photos.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
Here's a picture of yours truly on The Milwaukee Road while leaving Glenview in 1976. The chain is a Simmons "La Stage" model that I bought new in '66. Sadly, I lost it when we were invlolved in a head-on train wreck on the South Shore in '93. I slid on my chest across the floor of the coach and the chain litteraly exploded into pieces. The 992B survived without a scratch.

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Paul,
Nice pics and a great story. Post some more pics when you get the time.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Good picture. Were you a conductor or brakeman? Its too bad the Milwaukee Road is history. The Milwaukee was electrified through Deer Lodge, Mt where I was located. 3000 Volts DC.
I really enjoyed the "Little Joes". They were super train movers. Lots of traction power.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
I hired out on The Milwaukee's C&M (Chicago & Milwaukee, later Wisconsin)Division as a brakeman in 1972. I was promoted to conductor in '75.

Until the wires came down out west we'd see a few Joes in the Milwaukee Shops for motor work.

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009