Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gilbert Crystal Regulator issues "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Gilbert Crystal Regulator issues

I purchased the above crystal regulator about 5 years ago. It worked for a few days and then the time spring broke. I took it into the clock repairman I used to use and he fixed the spring (actually, he just cut the spring down and punched the end) I get about two to three days out of a full wind.
I have been looking for the correct mainspring which is a 3/4 x.15 x 96" hole end. The problem is, I can seem to find any with a .15 thickness. There are a ton of .18 thickness springs out there.

My question is can I use the thicker spring or am I stuck looking for a very rare spring.

Bruce

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Have you tired Timesavers? link to timesavers mainsprings

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi Roger,
I looked at timesavers and the closest I found was (3/4" X .0165" X 96" Loop End 8-Day Mainspring). Do you think the extra .0015 is going to matter?

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Bruce,

I would probably go with this one: link

I don't think .003 is going to make all that much difference, but here is another option: link that should work fine too.

Both of these are hole end springs which I think is what you said you need.

If you are concerned about overpowering the train, go with the thinner spring.

There are a couple of others there to consider. Look thru the hole end mainspring selection.

Roger

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Thanks for the info Roger. I am gonna buy the springs and have someone install them. the thought of taking that three plate movement apart has me terrified. Two plates I am ok with.. Three.... not so much

Thanks again for the info
bruce

Bruce Byrd

IHC Life Member
posted
You're welcome Bruce. Clock mainsprings are nothing to mess with if you don't have a good winder and know how to use it. Mine cost a few hundred bucks, but I like to keep all my fingers and other body parts.