Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Project clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I recently figured out the mechanical problem on my gilbert mantle clock and have decided to tackle the case. I stripped off a small piece of paper on the bottom of the clock and low and behold I found the gilbert label. It is a detroit model.

Here is my question.. I would like to repaint this clock to it's original color. The case itself is black however the small columns, ornamental side pieces and feet have all been repainted in some god awful silver, gold color. Can anyone tell me the original color for these items and advise me of some good paint for this process.

this was a nice case until some moron attempted to repaint the small stuff with a can of spray paint. I have the case down to its bare form and am starting to strip some of the spray paint from the metal items. There are small scroll marks in the wood and therefor I will be using a chemical strip with very light paper were needed.

Any advise from you veterans would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,
I looked in my Gilbert references and could not find a "Detroit" model. Could you post a picture? Or send it to me and I can post it for you.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi Tom,

Here are a couple pictures of the clock.. Let me know if you need a picture of the movement

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
and the case

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,

You have got your hands full with this project. Here are a couple of Gilbert clocks similar to the Detroit that show some of the finished that Gilbert used.

The first is a model called "Eden". The description states it came in "Rococo Sash, Gilt Ornaments, Gilt Engraved, Italian, Wiinchester or Red Marbelized Moulding and Columns. White, Cream or Gilt Perforated Dial."

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The next three are actually all"Blackbird" models, but offered in different finishes. The first one is plain black. The second one is marbelized in Italian, Scotch Granite, or Red. The third shows a version with open escapement.

Most of the manufacturers of black mantle clocks and gingerbread (kitchen) clocks had a wide variety of bits and pieces which they assembled to please customer requests. If you follow any of the themes show above, I don't believe you can go wrong.
Good luck.

Keep us up to date on how it is going.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
Would love to hear process for painting the columns JACK

Posts: 25 | Location: Centereach, New York, USA | Registered: May 18, 2003