Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

YUCK! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I'm not sure...looks like "lock-tite"?
Literaly had to use pliers to get the hour pipe off. The pivots were somewhat better...they were "locked-up" also.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Hi Greg, might be a good example of what happens to a movement over time that was not disassembled when put into a cleaning tank!
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
Picture of William Chappell
posted
yeah...I think Mike is right. Looks like it's been "dunked". That's why disassembly is critical for proper restoration. I am amazed that people on the MB still ask about cleaning assembled movements. If the person is a newbie, then it's necessary to learn how to disassemble and properly restore the movement. I restored a Herschede 9-tube not too long ago and it had the same green goop in all of the nooks and crannies...any place the person couldn't reach with his cleaning tools. Is it any wonder the clock stopped at about 18 months when you see this photo!

Bill

Posts: 30 | Location: Mountain Top, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 20, 2005
posted
I too just got a Herschede 2 train 9 tube in the shop and barrels behind the main wheel were green from non-rinsed cleaning solution.

TIP - If you can't or won't take it apart, don't dunk it! Especially a piece with internal cavities open to the outside world.

Another problem I see is re-oiling without knowing what was used in the past for oil. If the oils are of different bases (synthetic vs. mineral, etc.) they can react to each other. Some combinations will turn to stone and others to less than water thin.

This is a problem in the bearing industry where mechanics re-grease a sealed bearing unit without dissassembly and cleaning. I've seen it thousands of times when reviewing warranty return parts.

YUCK! is an understatement when you have about 1/2 lb of this 'stuff'.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
Hello - All of the above posts are great. The hour pipe would not, under ordinary circumstances require ANY lubricant insofar as the parts move so slowly that no friction would appreciably occur.

Bill

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Florida in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
quote:
re-grease a sealed bearing unit

re-grease a sealed bearing unit Thats why the bearing is sealed. It's not intended to be re-greased. But I know that their are people that will try.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011