Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Samuel Marti c1890? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hiya,
I have a samuel marti clock. I've recently cleaned and polished it.replaced the sound board etc
It keeps good time half a minute a week. My question is how easy it for me to alter when it strikes on the half hour? it's present about 1 minute off the half

Posts: 3 | Location: Yorkshire in the United Kingdom | Registered: November 26, 2008
posted
GREETINGS DAVID,IT IS A SIMPLE FIX BUT IT MAY TAKE MORE THAN ONE TRY TO GET IT CORRECT. YOU SHOULD NOT TRY TO CORRECT IT YOUR SELF UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE TINKERING WITH CLOCKS. ON THE FRONT OF THE CLOCK IN THE CENTER THE MINUTE WHEEL FITS ON THE CENTER STEM, ON THE BACKSIDE OF THIS WHEEL ARE 2 SMALL PINS THAT ARE 180 DEGREES APART THESE PINS ARE NOT EQUIDISTANT FROM THE CENTER IN OTHER WORDS 1 PIN IS CLOSER TO THE CENTER THAN THE OTHER, THE PIN THAT IS CLOSEST TO THE CENTER IS THE HALF HOUR ACCUATEING PIN IF THIS PIN IS BENT DOWN IT WILL STRIKE LATE IF IT IS BENT UP IT WILL STRIKE EARLY. CHECK TO SEE IF THE PINS ARE PERPENDICULAR TO THE BACK SURFACE OF THE MINUTE WHEEL. IF YOU FEEL THAT THEY ARE NOT CORRECT AND YOU WANT TO TRY TO ADJUST THEM DO IT VERY CAREFULLY. ALSO CHECK TO SEE THAT THE PIN MAKES PROPER CONTACT WITH THE STRIKE LIFTING LEVER. LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS OUT. EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
I must thank both John and Eddie for such a prompt reply (good time keepers eh?)
I am reasonable competent although some would argue that point. I managed to acquire a new spring for the Brocat escapement and modify it to fit.
The clock has been in my family probabley since manufacture. It spent about 30 years in my sisters loft as can be seen in the photos I include here. The next range of photos show it during strip down and cleaning performed by 'Alf' in Halifax The final series of pictures show it in it's glory and pride of place position.
I've read through Eddie explanation of correction and during the winter closed months 'May' attempt the repair.
I'm located close to the inter section of the M1/M62 Wakefield.

I've shown the clock on several sites over the last few years. No one has recongnised it or have been able to estimate it's value. Like many others interested in the value I would say that I wouldn't ever part with it. But......... LOL

Any way thanks again for your help. It was most unexpected to get a reply.

I have a pocket watch which belonged to my grandfather. I'll post details and photos later on.

These are a collection of Photos of my Samuel Marti. Before and during cleaning.

http://gallery.me.com/langstra...ey&view=mosaic&sel=0

Posts: 3 | Location: Yorkshire in the United Kingdom | Registered: November 26, 2008
posted
Hi David

A very nice clock and a very good cleaning job !

A real family treasure and heirloom and theirfore not valuable !

If traded clocks like this are in the $2000 - 2500 range and more when as complete set with the 2 candle holders (btw. are the candle holders still in your family ?)

If you like you may have a look here

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Gerald,

What a fabulous reply, many thanks for that link to youtube. The clock shown is almost as nice as mine. I have a few more intricate casting on my model. I do not have the candle holders to match. Is there way to track these down?
The estimated price looks about right from rough quotes obtained from clock dealers. I guessed about £400/500 paid and sold on for £700/800. Hardly a fortune and an underestimate to the value that I attach to it.

kindest regards,

David

posted
David, the clock I have here is a countwheel strike mechanism, which is different to yours, which appears to be a rack strike type.

The wheel shown below is very similar to the type Eddie mentioned, except the pins are equidistant from the centre.

Out of curiousity, was the strike timing ok before you had the dial and hands off during the restoration? and did everything go back together as it should have? or maybe something got bent during reassembly?

Best regards

John

Minute wheel

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
This shows the orientation of the wheels and hands (loosely plonked together).

John.

Motionwork

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
From the front.

John

Motionwork Front