• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Urgos Clock Repair Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am working on an Urgos 9 tube movement. If someone has dissassembled one of these movements, how do you remove the intermediate gear on the front of the escape wheel.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
meant to include this picture

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
between the plates

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
3 tools will do it. A 3lbs hand held sledge, a punch and a good anvil.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
quote:
3 tools will do it. A 3lbs hand held sledge, a punch and a good anvil.

Or, if you want to be able to put it back together, Smile you might try a small puller, or some prying levers, along with a little penetrating oil.

And/or, apply some tension to a puller and then smack it sharply with a hammer.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1851
posted
That wheel/gear appears to be brass. If pressed on maybe some "reasonable" careful heating may reduce the pressure needed. When heated brass will expand at a greater rate than steel, which would be an advantage in this case.

I've had no experience with this movement.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
IHC Member 1851
posted
Before the prying commences,It could be threaded.

If so, is locktite present , any red residue visible ? A little heat will soften it.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
Life Member
posted
If my memory is not lying to me, that pinon is pressed on, and the arbor is tapered. While you have the clock apart, you would be well advised to bush every pivot hole with the new ball-bearing bushing. Pivots on all Urgos and Hermele clocks were made with soft steel, that was chrome plated. The pivots cannot be polished, because burnishing them removes the plating.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Member 1725
posted
Ken,

Dave Booth is giving very good advise. You will be lucky to get 25-30 years out of the factory bushings. I know we are talking about a lot of work, but it's the only way it will last. Good movement other than that.

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
Life Member
posted
My memory is correct. I dug through my odd specialized tool bin, and found a puller I made from a piece of bronze pipe and a ham radio tuning lock screw. I used it for a couple of years, when I was running a clock repair business.

One of the center adapters fits Urgos, the other fits Hermle. They are both counter bored to take the end of the thumb screw.

Gear puller

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Member 1725
posted
Very nice David.

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012