Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gilbert Banjo Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
On our last Flea Market/Antique shop outing, my wife spotted this Gilbert Banjo Clock and decided it should come home with us. But its missing part of the catch for the outer glass door, would anyone know where replacements might be obtained?
Thanks for any information.

Banjo Clock

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Wayne,
I've been looking through the Gilbert books and cannot get a clear picture of what was original. None of the ones I have seen look like yours. It could be just not in the books (Tran's and others) that I have.

Do you get the feeling that the parts that are there, namely, the circular bit, is original?

I have also looked through a few catalogues. Merritt's has a bezel latch that requires no soldering to install.

Otherwise you might keep you eye out for an old junk case with a good bezel.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom
Thanks for the information, I also look through the Gilbert Clocks by Tran Du Ly but could find no clear photos of the dial latch. But there was a Gilbert Banjo clock for sale today on e-bay and it appeared to have the same type of catch for the dail...The dial looks like there have been no attempted repairs so it could be original..but I think the weight is a replacement.

One other question, is the movement removed through the front or the rear of the case?

Gilbert

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Wayne, Thanks for the good picture of the bezel. I thinkt the outfit from Merritts (page 41) could be adapted to fit your bezel. I don't know what the outer bezel looks like.

Many of the banjos are removed through the back. If you remove the dial you will fins solid wood with holes for hands and winding arbors. I don't remember specifically about that one.

Could you post a picture of the whole clock so we can see the throat and bottom glasses?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom,
This is a photo of the whole clock - less the eagle on the top - it appears to run for a few minutes and then stop, but its missing the winding key - I think its 3mm size - on the dail is market "Gilbert 1807". I do not think the glass picture is original.

Gilbert 1807

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Wayne,
You are probably aware, but others who see the "1807" on the dial think that is a production date. I does indicate that it was made no earlier than the 20s when Gilbert started putting "1807" on the dials. The 1807 date refers to the first clock factory (Samuel Hoadley & Co.)on the site of the Gilbert factory. the gilbert clock company was not formed until 1871.

Is that a lever movement in that one?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
Tom,
This morning I found a Gilbert Electric clock with "1807" on the dail. Can you identify what the "1807" indicates? So now there is a Banjo 1807 and an Electric 1807. Thanks very much.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Wayne,
The 1807 date refers to the first clock factory (Samuel Hoadley & Co.)on the site of the Gilbert factory. The Gilbert clock company was not formed until 1871.

It is my understanding that they started doing this in the '20s.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
Tom
Thanks again for the information. This is the Gilbert 1807 Electric clock that I found at a flea market this morning.

Gilbert Electric