• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tick, Toc-Toc sound??? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Help! I have been learning clocks for only one year now and am a new member to this group. I have run into something I can't find in any of my reference materials. I am working on a Decor brand wall clock (est. vintage 60's to 70's???). It is a strike and time clock with a German "Davis" movement. It looks just like the Hermle's I've worked on in the past. It is a spring driven pendulum clock with a friction fit verge to set the beat (deadbeat).
I have it set so that it's keeping good time and chiming well, but it has a distinct "Tic, Toc-Toc, Tic, Toc-Toc" beat. I have tilted the clock to both sides in smallincrements, and cannot find a spot without this sound. My Micro-set beat error detection equipment senses the goofy sound, too, and makes it impossible to use my trusty Micro-set instrument to set the beat error as close as possible.
Visually the drop of the pallets seems to be typical and even. I can't find the source of the stray sound, and it doesn't seem to be interfering with the functioning of the clock. Comments from all helpers are welcome!

Jim Fischer

Posts: 17 | Location: Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 03, 2007
posted
Correction - make that a "strike and Chime" clock in line two.

Jim

Posts: 17 | Location: Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 03, 2007
posted
James, Others are much more experienced than me but may I suggest that you remove the movement, put it on a stand, ensure it is level and then watch it work. If you have old eyes like me you will need to have good light because you want to watch the escape wheel and the verge under magnification. You may have to watch it for a little bit while you listen but my guess is that you will see an abnormality in the way the verge and escape wheel interact.

Let us know what you see and hear.

Rick

Posts: 93 | Location: Frisco, Texas in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Richard is probably right. Another place for noise is a "slap" that can develop when there is too much room in the crutch for the suspension wire. It slaps the side of the crutch and makes a sound. That situation also robs a lot of power and is often a cause of a clock stopping.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks, Rich and Tom. I wil be getting back to this project only after the first of the year. I will let you know how it goes.

Jim Fischer

posted
Sorry - make that "Rick" and Tom.

Jim