Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas 105 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi All,

This is my first foray into clocks. (just a big pocket watch, right? Smile ) I am attempting to fix a seth thomas model 105 which is in pieces.. Does anyone have a schematic of the mechanism so I can figure where each gear goes... Thanks in advance.... BRuce

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Bruce.....Are you able to post a photo of what you have or email to me and I will post for you.

Geo

Geo
NAWCC #78594
Local Chapter #76

Posts: 111 | Location: Sellersville, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: December 24, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,
The pictures Geo mentioned of case and movement would really help here. It sounds like you have a good puzzle to work on!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I am cameraless at the moment (memory stick problems)..should have that fixed by the end of the week

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Gentlemen,

It is just a big pocket watch Smile I spent about two hours and after some fitting and refitting, it went back together.. Running ok at the moment.. Do you gentlemen have information on this mechanism? Year produced, etc... Got this one for 15 bucks.. fun little clock.. Bruce

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce, Glad you solved the puzzle. When you said, in your initial post, that you had a "NO. 105" Was that a movement number or a case model number?

I see in the catalogue that the #105 movement is their highest grade (in 1926) 8 day lever strike movement. Movement is fitted with detachable 7-jeweled escapement, Breguet hairspring and cut compensated balance.

There is a picture of the No. 105 below. If that is not it, there are several other round lever movements in the catalogue.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi Tom,

Thats the one. Nice little movement.. Not bad for 15 bucks..

I do have a question for you about the hands.. This clock is set by its hands. The minute hand is very sloppy with alot of play.. Can you advise a fix to that type of problem.. Thanks for the photo and the info on the clock. Bruce

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce, You did very well for $15.00!!

The hands are snugged up with a cupped washer that goes between the hand and the pin that holds it on. If the washer is there, and it is still sloppy, make sure the hands are correct. The square hole in the hand should not be very much larger than the shaft it goes on.

I have seen two washers used to take up the slack in some cases.

As I re-read your post, I question whether I got the problem right in my mind. Is the hand loose on the shaft or it the whole assembly loose. There is a tension washer for that also.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi Tom,

The cupped washer is there and it is still loose. I found an old washer and put it between the cupped washer and the hand which removed some of the slop but not much.. It appears after years of use, the hand hole has been distorted. I did not see a tension washer.. would that go between the hour hand and minute hand?

Thanks you for spending the time to discuss this with me.. Bruce

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce, The tension washer would be inside the movement on the cannon pinion. It allows the hands to be turned for setting, and still provide enough tension for the motion works to move the hands.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Tom, that washer is in place. The only problem i can see is the slop in the hand itself. The clock is keeping excellent time (off 1 minute in 24 hours)so I am gonna leave well enough alone Smile

Thanks for all your advise and help with this clock.. Bruce