Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham's Riverside Grade "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
18s 1892 model is not in a case.
1888 model (16s) is in a silver case (AWWCo).
14s Colonial A is white gold (14K Wadsworth)
12s 3/4-plate in silver/niello case (Keystone - see other thread)
12s semi-bridge style - you are seeing the nickel swing ring from a Waltham sterling case.
10s Colonial B is in white gold (14K Keystone)
1s is in a silver case (AWWCo).

posted
Jerry;
Thanks. Niello, huh? I sure know how to pick them!

- Mark Lee

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I see that I missed your question about the 6/0 in the cushion case. I have always believed it to be original, but have no proof. I will post more details in the wristwatch forum where we can discuss the issue further.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Is this thread dead yet? Smile
An ad from the National Geographic, dated Nov 1915.

posted
Frank;
Moribund, maybe, but never fully dead. That ad is very interesting. Do you have a date associated with it? I ask because it appears as though wristwatch production for men had not yet started. How accurate that presumption is, I do not know. The ad's date maybe an indication that Riverside movements made earlier than the ad and are in wrist cases for men are recased movements. Again, a brain tickler.

- Mark Lee

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Jerry,

This one just arrived. Thought I would add it to the mix.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Here is the dial. I am not that familiar with the Maximus but it seems like I remember reading or hearing that some of the dials where marked "Waltham Maximus". Would the dial shown be correct for this movement?

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
The dials that I have seen that are marked "Waltham Maximus" were made for the Premier Maximus, in both porcelain and silver versions. The Riverside Maximus, at least in 16 size, seem to have used "Waltham" in flowing script as the original dial.
Of course, there may be exceptions, as Waltham, like most other watch manufacturers, wasn't very consistant. They would do whatever the customer wanted in order to sell watches.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
David, your dial is definitely an appropriate Riverside Maximus dial. The Waltham name is in the distinctive style used only on this grade. The only addition I have seen on some dials is "AWWCo." in script above the seconds bit (but this seems to appear on earlier examples than yours, such as some 12-size and the '88 model). Waltham made an effort around 1903 to switch to using single-sunk Maximus dials as opposed to double sunk because they were less susceptible to breakage.

posted
Jerry -

Have you ever seen a Riverside Maximus wind-indicator with a dial carrying the distinctive script Waltham signature?

I've talked to an individual who believes he has seen such a dial, but every Riverside Maximus wind-indicator I have seen has had a plain block numeral "Waltham" signature.

Fred

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
No, I have not. (But I have only seen a few with wind indicator). I will contact a Maximus collector that I know and see if he has anything to add.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
My Maximus source says that he, too, had heard of a wind indicator with a Maximus dial, but it turned out to have an italic script "Waltham" such as seen on some export watches (attached image, lower name), not the distinctive upright script normally used on the Riverside Maximus (upper name). Many people hear that the Maximus dial has the name in script and do not realize that there is a difference between the two.

posted
Thanks for checking Jerry ... and now I definitely wonder if that wasn't what my friend perhaps saw also.

Would be very interesting if there was such a dial with the distinctive upright script, but until I more convincingly see or hear of one I think I will have to doubt its existence.

Fred

posted
In the matter of type-faces, I would like to offer this one:

First, I should say that this is NOT from a Riverside dial, but from a Seaside 0s dial. The odd thing is that both a small-cap block lettering is used for the word "American" while a rather flourished script in used for "Waltham". The block lettering of "Waltham" has appeared on the non-Riverside grade watches that I have seen, but I have not seen both type-faces used together. My thought is that perhaps this watch, having been made in 1894, pre-dates any attempted standard practice that Waltham might have utilized.

P.S. The clumsy graphic clean-up is mine and the black strip down the middle is the minute hand of the watch.

- Mark Lee

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
One that I found in the junk pile. And it runs!

IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
Jerry,
Was reading thru your excellent post on Waltham Riverside's and I just received this 1908 model Maximus Winding Indicator. Dial & movement pics enclosed.
Fred

IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
movement

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Frank - thanks for sharing the picture of your '84 model. The damasceening on these nickel movements is always fun.

Fred - thank you for sharing one of the TOP Riversides !! I imagine that the damasceening on yours is not shown off to its best advantage.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Finally had a chance to add the 3/0 Riverside to the gallery. This 21j movement (ca.1930) is based on the 0-size 1907 model.