Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Andy's Novelty Clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Here is a Barometer clock I got from Spain. It has a brass bell in the tower that strikes the hours and half hour. It is about 3 feet tall.

[This message was edited by Andy Krietzer on March 21, 2004 at 17:27.]

Barometer Clock from Spain

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Bucherer Imhof 8 day 15 jewel gold plated Swiss.

Bucherer Imhof front

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Rear view of Bucherer Imhof

Bucherer Imhof

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Economy Controller 1.

Economy Controller 1

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Economy Controller 2. I think these were used to control a furnace.

Economy Controller 2

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Cowtail reproduction clock made in the 1970s or 1980s era. It is missing the hour hand.

Cowtail clock front

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Rear view of cowtail pendulum cock. Made in Germany. The pendulum is in front of the dial.

Cowtail clock rear

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Benchmark crystal regulator, made in the 1980s. Movement is marked "Fabric SSS Marke, 4 jewels unadjusted, W & A Schmid Schlinker Jr, Germany, 2/14". This has an unusual movement in that there is only one winder, but it does strike (count) the hours and once on the half. This company supplies clocks for Insurance companies, as I saw a new quartz one recently in an insurance sales office.

Benchmark clock co.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Movement of Benchmark.

Benchmark movement

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Rear of Benchmark.

Benchmark back.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Chelsea bookends clock and barometer. These are small but heavy bronze.

Chelsea bookends

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Rear of Chelsea bookends.

Chelsea bookends

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Chelsea bookend, clock.

Chelsea bookend clock

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,

That is a neat assortment of novelty clocks. Some would be a few steps above what I usually think of as "novelty clocks."

I saw the Chelsea bookends at the Great Lakes Regional this year. I thought they were very sharp! (and heavy) They did look to be quality all the way.

Do you have an Ignatz? When I think of novelty clocks, that one always comes to mind.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
I guess it is just an assortment. Maybe "odd clocks". I'm still adding some pictures. They all have something unusual about them, so I think of them as "novelties".

I haven't got an Ignatz (yet). I think they bring a higher price than they are worth, but I will try to get one if the price is right. Funny thing about them, I went in a clock repair shop a few years ago and asked if he ever saw one. He said "you mean one of these?". He brought out a small clock (about 4" to 5" tall) that looked like a pencil sharpener, cheap pot metal and looked like a reproduction of a 1600s era clock, but it was a real working flying ball clock!

Andy

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

[This message was edited by Andy Krietzer on March 22, 2004 at 20:02.]

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
The only flying ball clock I have seen is "Ignatz".

I don't have an original one, but the one pictured below is a reproduction. Fun to watch, but don't rely on it for time!! Big Grin

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,

From what I've read about the Ignatz clocks, there is the original one (the patent shown on the dial of your's), and the near exact repro done in the 1960s or 1970s for the Horolovar Company. There was an early one made in France (I think) at about the same time as the original, probably of better quality. Then that tiny one was made in the 1970s or so probably Asian. I did see a couple of those sell on ebay, but I never wanted to pay that much for one because of the poor quality. Even the Horolovar reproductions always seem to go high, but I have never seen one of the original ones sell.

I hear the Ignatz clocks are popular with cats!

Speaking of heavy clocks, I just saw a really hefty one at an auction last week. It was from a bank. It was similar to the Bucherer Imhof in the picture above, but it was streched out to include 14 seperate square dials. One was a clock, one a calendar, one a thermometer, one maybe a barometer or hygrometer, but most were blank, like picture frames. It was about 5" or 6" tall, 3" deep, and about 3 foot or more long. I bet it weighed more than 100 pounds, solid brass! It felt like it was bolted down. I don't remember the make of the clock (Suiza?), or if it was even the original movement since it was 110 volt. One of the few times I didn't want something just because I didn't want to have to move it around.

Andy

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

[This message was edited by Andy Krietzer on March 23, 2004 at 15:10.]

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Russian Cuckoo clock. More pictures of it can be found here.

Andy

Russian Cuckoo 1

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
LeCoultre and Bucherer miniature alarm clocks. The ring on the Bucherer folds up around the clock when you carry it, or fold it back the other way to make the stand.

So many clocks, so little time.

LeCoulter Bucherer

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tempscribe. This is a clockwork device for recording temperatures. The paper graph is replaceable, and an ink cartridge records the temperature. It is an 8 day clock, and the graph paper rotates once each 24 hours.

Tempscribe

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Seth Thomas small house.

Seth Thomas House

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Pair of Lux and Keebler clocks. The one on the left is called the Shaggy House, and I believe it is fairly rare. I paid 50 cents for it!

Lux Keebler