Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dollar Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Here are a few of my dollar watches I said I would post. I have hundreds of them so if there is an interest, I will post more of them.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ingersoll Display Case

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Drawer full of assorted dollar watches.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Here is a Western Clock Co. dollar pocketwatch.(pre-Westclox)

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
The movement of the Western Clock Co. (the American)

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Basketball & Football Timer made by Ingraham.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ingraham Seven Seas

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
New Haven dollar pocketwatch with an unusual dial.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
New Haven with a different case.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ingersoll Equinox

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Amazing stuff Brian! Gives a lot of us a glimpse at what we have been ignoring.

Thanks Buddy,

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Brian C.,
What a terrific dollar watch collection! Your Ingersoll display case is really really neat! I like the New Haven watch with the unusual dial. What's the dial made of? Confused

May want to collect one or two dollar watches since I've seen your collection. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Love the boxes with the watches!! Roll Eyes

Thanks for sharing your awesome collection with us!!

Is there more information you can give us on dollar watches? Confused
How old are they, what did they go for back then and what about now? Confused

Are there others in our chapter who collect dollar watches? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Thank you Stephanie,
The dial on that New Haven is metal.
Back in 1880, Robert H. Ingersoll who had a mail order business in New York, realized a need for a cheap watch that would sell for around one dollar. The New Haven and the Waterbury Clock Co. had already produced clock-watches that practically met the need that Ingersoll wanted. The Waterbury Clock Co. product was the smallest so in 1892 Ingersoll ordered 1,000 of the clock-watches at a cost of 85 cents each. They were offered in the 1892 Ingersoll mail order catalog at one dollar each.
This and much more information on dollar watches can be found in the book, The Watch That Made The Dollar Famous by George E. Townsend. It is the Encyclopedia of Dollar Watches.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hello Brian,
Wow!, you have quite a lot of these watches, do you know how many of them are in your drawers? are most of them in running condition?, how long since you have been collecting them', sorry for too many questions, I am curios and enjoyed seen the pictures.

I like the timer wtih the sector dial for football and basketball, it is cool, like a gadget of the mechanical era.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Thanks Carlos,
I don't know how many dollar watches I have but it's a lot more than I pictured. All the ones pictured are in running condition. I also have drawers full of parts watches.
I have been collecting them for about 17 years but have not been doing much with them in the last 10 years as my collecting interests have changed to Waltham and other pocket watches.
I'm glad you enjoyed them.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...very impressive Brian!...enjoyed the look-see...like Carlos, I particularly liked the sports timer...I could spend a lot of time going over your collection...very nice...Jim C

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice collection Brian!! A lot of history could be told through those watches. I hope you can post osme individual models from time to time so we can learn about some specific items.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
Brian, I have my father's original football timer that he used as a high school official back in the 1940's-50's. I then used it for timing my laps for HS track in the late 50's and early 1960's. It is stamped with 1947 on the movement. I have the original box with the price $1.10 written on the bottom in crayon.

Tom

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Hi Tom,
1947 was the year I was born.
I don't think I have ever seen the box for this one, could you post a picture of it?
Thanks,
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Picture of Brian C.
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Seymour:
Very nice collection Brian!! A lot of history could be told through those watches. I hope you can post osme individual models from time to time so we can learn about some specific items.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Thanks Tom,
I will try and post some more interesting ones when I get a chance to take some more pictures.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

posted
Hi Brian, I would happily post a pic of the box, but you would probably disappointed. It just a plain brown box with no lettering at all. It is my best assumption that it is the box that the watch came in as my dad had the habit of keeping things in the original box or package in which they came. Also, I can remember as a little kid in the 40's being intrigued with the watch. My dad would take the box out of his dresser drawer and let me work the slide.

Tom

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ok Tom,
I thought maybe the box would have nice pictures etc.
I have some of those plain boxes, so I know what you mean.
Brian C.