Tools
Reply to Post

A jewel in the rough "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Four convention medals, the one on the left B of LE 3rd. Quinnquennial Convention, Cleveland 1981 , and belonged to my mentor J.W. (Wes) Lyster, who was a Special Representative at the time. The next one belongs to Tom Nelson from Montana, this was for a 1982 convention for the B of LE Insurance Department. Next is one B of LE 4th, Quinnquennial Convention, Cleveland 1986, this is from Wes Lyster , who is now a Canadian Vice President finally my B of LE 5th, Quinnquennial Convention, Cleveland 1991 Delegates badge I was representing Calgary's Division 355, and it was one of the highlights in my career as a B of LE officer.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Me taken in the lobby of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Cooperative National Bank Building in Cleveland, Ohio on August 22, 1991. I am wearing my 18 size, 21 jewel, B of LE Standard pocket watch with B of LE fob on my gold filled chain, I am also wearing my, my delegates badge, and a circa 1903 Alberta Division 355. Secretary-Treasurer Ball Watch Co. medallion.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Alberta Division 355 wallet for Division officers badges circa 1903

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Alberta Division 355 wallet showing local officers badges of office, all made by the Webb C Ball Co., Cleveland, Ohio

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Secretary-Treasurer badge from Division 355, Calgary, Alberta

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Me and my friend Aud Balogh, who I had met in Cleveland five years previous in 1986 while attending a watch show there he was the Superintendent in charge of maintenance for the B of LE's Engineers Building built in 1915, and the Standard Building that was the Bank Building built in 1924, it took me for a guided tour of the Engineers Building, which was good as it was demolished in 1988 to build a Hyatt Hotel in 1989, while the convention was adjourned it took me over and showed me this Ball Street Clock that was in front of his store on Euclid Avenue

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Another photo taken by Aud of me checking my pocket watch with the Ball Street clock.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The last three convention medals are from the 6th Quinquennial Convention held in Detroit, and the 7th Quinquennial held in Miami. The one on the left is mine, at this convention. I was appointed by the International President Ronald P. MacLachlan to serve on the Arrangements Committee, we arrived in Detroit, one week before the convention opened, and worked hard filling kits for the 640 delegates, and setting up the convention hall for the opening.When the convention opened I worked as a reader, there were three teams of three, we would sit in and listen to the conventions proceedings, that was being transcribed by a court reporter, we would leave the convention hall, and another team would take their place, we then went to another room with the court reporter as she would read back to us the proceedings, and we would necessary corrections to fit in with railroad lexicon.
The middle medal would have been worn by a delegate. The right-hand medal is the delegate who succeeded me A.J. McGunigal our Local Chairman from Division 355. This was the 7th Quinquennial held in Miami, Florida in September 2001.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
On the left is a B of LF Convention medal from the 7th Biennial convention held in 1900 at Des Moines, Iowa. The portrait on the medal is Frank P. Sargent Grand Master of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Fireman for 17 years. Born the 1850, at East Orange, Vermont, he learned the trade of photography, but with poor health, he made a move to Arizona in 1879, there he served in the US Calvary for a year. In 1880 he started as an engine wiper for the Southern Pacific Railroad and was promoted as a fireman three months later. In 1881 he was initiated into Cactus Lodge 94 of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen in Tucson, Arizona. He rose up the ranks of the Brotherhood rapidly and was delegate to the 9th Annual Convention in Terre Haute, Indiana. At the 10th annual Convention in Denver, Colorado, he was elected Vice Grand Master. At the 12th annual Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was elected Grand Master, a position he held until 1902, during this time he resided in Terre Haute, Indiana. During his tenure, he played a role in the Burlington Railroad Strike of 1888, and the Pullman Strike of 1894, conducted by American Railway Union headed by Sargent's former B of LF, associate Eugene Victor Debs.

He was regarded as a conservative voice in union affairs, not prone to aggressiveness in labor disputes – a tendency which gained the nickname "Safety Valve"

Next to it is a reverse side showing the Capitol buildings in Des Moines, Iowa, next medal is from the 9th Biennial convention held in Buffalo, New York in 1904. Last is a visitors medal to the 11th Biennial convention held in Columbus, Ohio in 1908. This belonged to Calgary Fireman and Locomotive Engineer Danny Binkley Senior.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Frank Sargent was asked in 1900 by the administration of the William McKinley government to serve as the head of the nation's currency issuing authority, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which he declined.

The next opportunity came in April 1902, when he was appointed by Pres. Theodore Roosevelt as Commissioner General of Immigration, He served in this position until September 4, 1908 when he passed away in Washington, DC.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
12th Biennial Convention held in St. Paul, Minnesota 1910 convention medal. 1st Triennual Convention held in Washington DC 1913 convention medal. 2nd Triennial Convention held in Denver, Colorado 1916, Delegate RL Dickey Lodge 311 Belle Plaine, Iowa, representing firemen from the Chicago North Western railroad, another 1916 Denver, Colorado medal showing the Columbine state flower.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here are 3 Delegates Medals from the Third Triennial convention held at Denver, Colorado in 1919. The Delegate G.W. Martelle is from Hawkeye Lodge 27 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, representing firemen on the I.R. & L Railroad, Next is Delegate L.N. Goodell from Ellensburg Lodge 684 in Pasco, Washington, representing firemen on the Northern Pacific Railway, The last Delegate is T.V. Blaisdell from Green Mountain Lodge 301 in Newport, Rhode Island, representing firemen on the Boston and Maine Railroad. The last badge is from the same convention and was worn by a visitor.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen founder Joshua A Leach passed away during this convention on June 26, 1919

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Grand Lodge Convention medal for delegate from St. Lawrence Lodge 15 Montréal, Québec, representing firemen from the Grand Trunk Railway pre-1908. Special 14 karat gold medal presented in July 1892 to Charles A Wilson from his Washington Lodge No. 13. Jersey City, New Jersey, representing firemen on the Central Railroad of New Jersey. Delegates medal from J.B. Maynard Lodge 193, Portland, Oregon, representing firemen on the Southern Pacific Railway post 1908.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Charles A Wilson

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Charles A Wilson in 1908

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Millard Foster Lodge 395 N. Topeka, Kansas ribbon badge.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Order of Railway Conductors 1895, Atlanta, Georgia, 25th Session Grand Division Ribbon. Order of Railway Conductors 1893, Toledo, Ohio 24th Session Grand Division celluloid badge. Order of Railway Conductors 1890, Rochester, New York 22nd Session Grand Division ribbon. Order of Railway Conductors 1897, Los Angeles, California, 26th Session Grand Division delegate's ribbon from Division New England Division No. 157, Boston, Massachusetts. Order of Railway Conductors 1899, Detroit, Michigan 27th Session Grand Division delegate's ribbon from Division No. 48, Detroit, Michigan

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Order of Railway Conductors 1901, St. Paul, Minnesota 28th Session Grand Division delegates medal. Souvenir badge from St. Paul's convention. Order of Railway Conductors 1903, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 29th Session Grand Division visitors badge. Order of Railway Conductors 1903, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 29th Session Grand Division delegates badge. Order of Railway Conductors 1905, Portland, Oregon 30th Session Grand Division delegates badge. Order of Railway Conductors 1907, Memphis, Tennessee 31st Session Grand Division delegates badge. Order of Railway Conductors 1909 Boston, Massachusetts 32nd Session Grand Division delegates badge.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Order of Railway Conductors 1911 Jacksonville, Florida 33rd Session Grand Division delegates badge from Division No. 128. Savanna. Order of Railway Conductors 1911 Jacksonville, Florida 33rd Session Grand Division delegates badge. Order of Railway Conductors 1913, Detroit, Michigan, 34th Session Grand Division delegates badge. Order of Railway Conductors 1916, St. Louis, Missouri 35th Session Grand Division R.A. Macdonald's delegates badge. Order of Railway Conductors 1919, St. Louis, Missouri 36th Session Grand Division N. Foy's delegates badge.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Order of Railway Conductors 1934, Toronto, Ontario 41st Session Grand Division delegates button TE Ross Division 301 Seymour, Indiana

IHC Member 2030
posted
Thank you again for the glimpse into the cases behind the watch stand you constructed.
Your collection is an impressive and inspiring look into the rich history of railroading.
The proud traditions of 'hauling' can only be preserved by noble men such as you.
Keep it coming and keep it going!

Mike