Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Closed Topic Closed
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
In Search Of Seth Thomas "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Fronting it is a nice Roman-numeral dial with light spade hands in a copper-trimmed Illinois case:

posted
-

posted
Not often seen is this 24-hour Roman-numeral double-pressed dial:

posted
It fronts the seldom-seen "Blackjack" movement, so named for the pattern arrangement that resembles a dealt hand of cards:

Even more rare is the complete set of gilt hardware.

posted
Protected by a smooth-back gold-filled Star case that came from our own Dave Abbe:

posted
Here is an unusual 15-jewel lever-set Grade 204. It is finished throughout, meaning the dial side of the pillar plate and the ratchet wheel plate are both perlaged, the setting yoke and lever are polished, and it's fitted for a dust band.

Note the early serial number, SN 203621, and the older script signature:

posted
Fronting it is a rare Seth Thomas black-only Arabic "train" dial:

posted
Protected by a smootback B&B case that comes from our own Jared Brinker.

posted
Seth Thomas's version of a dollar watch was the 18-sized "Century" line, available in both open-face and hunter models.

posted
Listed in the 1904 catalog for a mere $1.90, they were available only in 7-jewel variants, and were used for several named grades such as Corona, Colonial, and this Model 13 Republic:

posted
In the above catalog layout, it clearly states that Models 12 and 13 are not numbered (which answers Pete's question a few pages back) - and yet this one is, SN 1751025.

It fronts a scarce red and black Roman-numeral marked dial.

Thanks to our own Barry Hanstein for this example.

posted
Wrapped up in an Illinois engine-turned gold-filled hunter case:

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Eric, Volume 1 of Ehrhardt's encyclopedia describes this as a Grade 179 yet the P.G. says something about 179 being a full plate Hunter Cased thing.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice Stag cased example of an original Seth Thomas RR grade long Pallet design.

posted
Unlike Columbus, Elgin, and others, Seth Thomas apparently didn't assign grade numbers for every single damask pattern - I'm assuming that because there are far too many pattern variants.

The 1896 price list shown below lists Dave's excellent lever-set Model 3 as a Grade 179, an open-face nickel movement with 17 jewels and a micro-regulator.

$18 would've been somewhat pricey back in the day. Note the half-headed case screws and the lack of a dust band.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Eric While restoring it, I could not help but notice the extremely detailed finish work, fitment quality and Damaskeening on EVERY side of EVERY main part of this watch. That told me it was expected to sell at a very respectable price.

It is still trying to run RR's. 18000+/-2 beats per hour

So thank you for confirming my suspicions. I guess it is another correction the P.G. could make use of.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Eric what model (currently listed) is this and is it common to see it marked Pan american, also is that an add for an airline??

IHC Life Member
posted
Dial marked PA for Pan American

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Rob, That is a New York Standard. Probably in celebration of the 1901 Pan American Expo in Budffalo, NY.

Fairly collectible too! Is the seconds arbor in there?

Airline? Mebbe one of the Wright brothers carried it before their first powered flight.

IHC Life Member
posted
Rob,
The plate layout looks to me to be the same as a Seth Thomas Colonial U.S.A. Model 11. Photo on page 387 of the 2010 Price guide.

I believe the New York Standard is Pan-America
not Pan American.

That's what I found. Any other Guesses?

Nice watch!!

Steve

posted
It sure looks like a Model 13 Seth to me, Rob. The only way to be sure would be to pull the dial. Back up a page and scroll up a few panes for more info, just above the two-tone Republic (also a Model 13).

The Pan-American Expo was held here in Buffalo in 1901, it's opening having been delayed a couple years by the outbreak of the Spanish-American War. Nikola Tesla installed his 3-phase alternating-current generator at nearby Niagara Falls, and power lines were run to Buffalo to illuminate the Expo. The Queen City was re-dubbed The City Of Light, but all this was eclipsed by the assassination of President William McKinley in September of 1901.

IHC Life Member
posted
I can't remember but I believe I took this movement out and looked at where the dial feet screws were and that is how I determined that I thought it was a Seth THomas. I might have to take time to double check now.