Tools
In Search Of Seth Thomas "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Pan American ends Sat morning.
Yes Dave seconds hand pinion is there

posted
Rob, I see light hairlines around the 45-minute-mark on your Pan-Am dial. The feet positions on Seth dials are at the 13 and 45-minute-marks. If there is a third dial foot it will be at the 34-minute-mark.

posted
Another one of the named grades is the Monarch Watch Co. This example is fronted by a signed Roman-numeral dial:

posted
Backing that dial is a signed Grade 189 Model 5 - a two-tone lever-set 17-jewel movement:

posted
Tucked away in a Crescent "goat" case:

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Just bought this on ebay:
7J Seth T. What have I got? Was it worth $35?

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Dial Ser. No. 754201
Does this qualify as a 2 tone?

Dave Turner

posted
If it runs it's certainly worth more than what you paid for it, Dave.

You've got a nice example of a two-tone Model 8 in the "fried egg" pattern.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Eric,
I don't think it runs, but it looked to be all original to me, so I thought I'd take a chance on it. I'll let you know when I get it.
Got any extra hands laying around?

Dave Turner

posted
Dave, I've only got medium spade-and-poker hands for Model 5s, which would be incorrect for this watch. You need a matching light spade hand for this Model 8. Try our own Brian Cavanaugh.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks for looking Eric,

I'll contact Brian.

Dave Turner

posted
One of my assumptions that Seth Thomas didn't assign a grade number to every individual pattern is because there are simply too many patterns.

Here is another pattern within the total of 80 numbers blocked for the two-tone 24-jewel variant of the Maiden Lane:

posted
Fronting is the red and black 24-hour Arabic radial dial with matching spade-and-poker hands:

posted
All wrapped up in a handsome Philadelphia case with a blank cartouche:

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Oh my God! I think I just blew out an optic nerve!

William

posted
Thanks, William. Smile

The Edgemere is one of the lesser named grades, but unlike the Century line can be found in both nickel and two-tone, and in jewel counts from 7 to 17. This fully-jewelled Model 8 was top shelf for the Edgemere:

posted
Fronting that movement is a marked red-and-black Roman dial with matching light spade hands:

posted
The Model 4 key-wind parts list:

posted
The Model 4 was the Seth Thomas company's primary keywind movement. Though the Model 2 hunter could occasionally be found with a keyed barrel, the Model 4 was produced in 20 separate runs with a total production of around 12,400 watches.

A very exciting example - a Model 4 from the very first run, and with a gold-plated upper plate. All the serial numbers match on this 7-jewel veteran from the year 1887. Simplicity itself - a barrel, a train, and a balance. No setting gears, no yoke, no lever, and no stem arbor:

posted
Fronted by a cursive signature with matching hands:

posted
Wrapped up in a hulking triple-hinged Keystone case:

posted
-