Closed Topic Closed
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
In Search Of Seth Thomas "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1555
posted
Might be a lesser grade Eric but still a great looking movement and dial, I can see why the Seth Thomas are your favourites, thank you once again for the photos and education.

Best Regards,
bila

posted
Thanks, Bila Smile

The Model 8 line could be found with either honest or show-off jewelling. If the train gears had a hole jewel on both ends of it's respective staff, then the paired jewels played a part in reducing friction. If the jewels were installed only on the upper plate, then they were more for looks than functionality since the lower pivots were simply bushed into the pillar plate - like the two-tone Model 8 pictured below with a total jewel count of 11:

The tip-off is the lack of a regulator gooseneck.

posted
Fronted by a light-Arabic dial with thin spade hands:

posted
WooWWWW!
D.

posted
Thanks, Dan Smile

An ad for the Grade 57:

posted
Bottom shelf for the Model 5 was the Grade 57 (or the 47 in gilt), a lever-set 7-jewel unadjusted movement.

Thanks to our Brother Phil for showing me where to look to acquire this variant with pinstripes:

posted
It fronts an unusual fancy dial with a pale blue background and red Arabic numerals.

posted
All wrapped up in a gold-filled Philadelphia case with a great outdoors scene:

posted
The Corona Watch Co was a Seth Thomas contract name, listed here in Shugart's APW Vol 1:

posted
The Corona was a scarce Model 12, indeed the first one I've been able to find.

My thanks to Bila Wirriganwalters for his help in completing this watch.

posted
Fronted by a matching dial:

posted
Billeted into a Silveroid clamshell Keystone case:

posted
Like the Edgemere line, the Republic was available in the open-face and hunter Models 12 and 13, respectively, and could be had in a variety of jewel counts, patterns, and the choice between straight nickel and two-tone.

Another variant of the Model 13 Republic:

posted
A 15-jewel example with pressed-in settings:

posted
All wrapped up in it's original sturdy Illinois gold-filled workingman's hunter case:

posted
one word...

stunning...

not many things have I ever seen crafted from metal are as breath taking as this collection...

simply beautiful ...

posted
Thanks, Lou Smile

Here is another Model 5 Grade 182 with an early serial number featuring the ivy pattern around a broken-star center:

posted
Fronting it is a Roman dial with matching light spade hands.

posted
-

posted
Here's an earlier Model 2 with the exaggerated Olde English script signature. This specimen again has no center jewel under the dial, making for a total of 16:

posted
Fronted by a flawless matching Gothic Roman dial:

posted
Boxed up in a great President case.