Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Emilian Wehrle Rooster Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Justin J. Miller
posted
Just wanted to share a piece I picked up for my collection at the end of last year.

It is a Rooster clock made by Emilian Wehrle in Furtwangen C. 1885.

The Wehrle factory is best known for there musical trumpeter and flute clocks, which on the hour play a full musical tune on 4 to 13 horns.

They also made in far less number singing bird and rooster clocks.

While the idea to have a clock to call the hour with the sound of a rooster was not Emilians.. he was the one to perfect it.

In 1885 he patented a movement that would call the hour with the sound of the rooster WITH OUT THE USE OF AIR.

By using a tin reed and a sound box, the movement vibrates the reed at diffrent speeds and positions to producd the call.

Clocks made by Emilian Wehrle are the main focus of my collection... Just wanted to share this piece.

If any other collectors have any Wehrle examples I would love to see them.

I am also looking for any early catalogs, factory invoices or any records that have to do with the Wehrle factory. (copies or orig.)

If you have any information about the wehrle factory I would love to hear about it.

Best,

Justin J. Miller
NAWCC 88401

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
That is an outstanding clock. I wish I could hear it. Thanks for posting.

posted
Very impressive clock! Thank you for sharing it with us.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That's a beauty!

Wink

posted
Is there a way to post a sound clip of the clock on the message board?

Here is a shot of the movement.

Justin

posted
back

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
I like the overall soundness of the clock: solid woodworking, heavy metal plate, detailed finish in carvings and in dial, and on top of that the rooster action. It sure looks like a piece of German engineering. Thanks for sharing.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
OUTSTANDING clock Justin. Thanks for the pictures. We will have to look into the sound bite aspect of the site. It would be great to hear it.

Your posts have opened up a whole new area of clocks to this site. Your addition to our knowledge bank is very much appreciated.

Tom

posted
It would be greatto beable to post sound. I have several musical clocks (trumpeters, singing bird, rooster, flutes) I could put the music played on the site, keep me posted.

Justin