Internet Horology Club 185
Emilian Wehrle Rooster Clock

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5656047761/m/2981043111

February 22, 2005, 13:34
Justin J. Miller
Emilian Wehrle Rooster Clock
Just wanted to share a piece I picked up for my collection at the end of last year.

It is a Rooster clock made by Emilian Wehrle in Furtwangen C. 1885.

The Wehrle factory is best known for there musical trumpeter and flute clocks, which on the hour play a full musical tune on 4 to 13 horns.

They also made in far less number singing bird and rooster clocks.

While the idea to have a clock to call the hour with the sound of a rooster was not Emilians.. he was the one to perfect it.

In 1885 he patented a movement that would call the hour with the sound of the rooster WITH OUT THE USE OF AIR.

By using a tin reed and a sound box, the movement vibrates the reed at diffrent speeds and positions to producd the call.

Clocks made by Emilian Wehrle are the main focus of my collection... Just wanted to share this piece.

If any other collectors have any Wehrle examples I would love to see them.

I am also looking for any early catalogs, factory invoices or any records that have to do with the Wehrle factory. (copies or orig.)

If you have any information about the wehrle factory I would love to hear about it.

Best,

Justin J. Miller
NAWCC 88401

February 22, 2005, 20:58
Scott Cerullo
That is an outstanding clock. I wish I could hear it. Thanks for posting.

www.pawatchmaker.com
February 22, 2005, 22:57
Derek B. Phelps
Very impressive clock! Thank you for sharing it with us.
February 22, 2005, 23:31
Lindell V. Riddle

That's a beauty!

Wink

February 23, 2005, 12:25
Justin J. Miller
Is there a way to post a sound clip of the clock on the message board?

Here is a shot of the movement.

Justin

February 23, 2005, 12:26
Justin J. Miller
back

February 27, 2005, 00:42
Carlos Flores
I like the overall soundness of the clock: solid woodworking, heavy metal plate, detailed finish in carvings and in dial, and on top of that the rooster action. It sure looks like a piece of German engineering. Thanks for sharing.
February 27, 2005, 21:35
Tom Seymour
OUTSTANDING clock Justin. Thanks for the pictures. We will have to look into the sound bite aspect of the site. It would be great to hear it.

Your posts have opened up a whole new area of clocks to this site. Your addition to our knowledge bank is very much appreciated.

Tom
February 28, 2005, 18:13
Justin J. Miller
It would be greatto beable to post sound. I have several musical clocks (trumpeters, singing bird, rooster, flutes) I could put the music played on the site, keep me posted.

Justin