Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hairspring Tools? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...my journey into watch repair has taken me naturally into working at/with (mostly at) hairsprings and to that end would appreciate any recommendations re: the 'right' tools to be using in that work;- specialized tweezers, holders, manipulators (for lack of an official term) etc....thanks!...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Jim
Are you asking about specialized tools that would be need for hair spring work in addition to regular watch repair tools? Of course one of the first would be a Hairspring Collet Remover tool. (this one was made by K&D).

Collet remover

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...yes Wayne, exactly...particularly those tools to be used in straightening and otherwise reconditioning h'springs gone awry...I have a removing tool similar to the one you've shown which I keep razor sharp and tip-protected...Jim C

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Jim,

There are all kinds of fancy little hairspring tools, each of which serve specific purposes, but the most basic are really sharp, really good tweezers, and a small needle-like probe.

==============

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Jim,
I thought I could add some good tools to the hairspring list.

1, two number six tweezers. These are great for grasping the spring. I use them for straightening, bending overcoils, studding and colleting. The tips must be kept perfect on them and they should only be used for hairsprings.

2, I have one pair of number five tweezers for fine manipulations.

3, Number 10 tweezers for bending at the collet or overcoil are great and come in all the sizes. I found used ones, since new ones are pricey.

4, Number 9 overcoil tweezers. I really want these but they are cost prohibitive. If anyone out There has a used pair to sell, email me. They are adjustable and much easier to use in raising the overcoil with knee bends.

5, A flat watch crystal with a hole drilled in the center to hold the collet. Put a white piece of paper behind it and it makes the spring much easier to see and prevents it from moving around. The smooth surface aids in feathering or stroking the spring into a proper coil.

6, Take a fine old oiler and file the tip round and use it to work the spring while grasping it with a tweezer in the other hand.

7,Microscope makes it lots easier.

8, Collet turning tools are good and allow you to turn the collet by reaching down through the spring and turning it so the the spring is positioned properly.

9, There are some fine wire tools made for hairspring work with the idea that you can straighten out the spring with it still in the watch.
There are more tools that help. In Freid's book Bench Practices, he describes a tool that is easy to make for pinning the spring to the collet. You can make a quicky tool using the same concept by taking a small cutting broach and putting it in a small pinvice. Use some rodico at the base and take the seconds bit from an old 16 size dial and slide it over the broach and onto the rodico. If you put the collet on the square broach it won't spin when you pin it and the white dial helps you see it.

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
....thanks Scott!!!just the information I was looking for...really appreciate your taking the time...now to review my own tool/tweezer inventory and fill in the 'blanks' and 'file-sharpen' the others...Smile...Jim C