Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Staking set question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Does it seem from what's visible that this boley staking set is in decent condition? Is there supposed to be a part at the very top of the machine (?word?) that covers it over?

Jessica

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14325&item=4900877740&rd=1

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
posted
In my opinion a staking set with this many punches and stakes for under a 100 is a good deal, good name Boley.
I am not sure what you mean though Jessica about a top part, i have seen some that have a lever i think to press jewels, but mine has no lever and works very well, i jave a C.E Marshall.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Jessica,

The seller has a good reputation, he's nice guy to deal with.

Staking sets normally go in the seventy-five to ninety-five dollar range, so price is about right. You are correct in that the top piece as well as some of the stakes and stumps are apparently missing. Personally I'd hold out for one that is complete and in nicer condition.

One of us could check for you at a land-based show or perhaps another member has one available. You might also try putting an ad in our "Wanted to Buy" section.

This is something you only buy once if you buy the right one.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Hi Jess, as i see this looks like a nice set but some may be missing. Marshall is a good name. Ted

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Below, a complete "Thebestfit" set we found for $75.00 at a show...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
This is my staking set C& E Marshall Co. Got many years ago. Jess the hole i think you're talking about are for the punches, Take a look.

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
My staking set Ted, is exactly like yours, maybe yours is in a little better shape than mine.

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Jessica,

There are so many types of staking sets. Like Ted and Kevin, I have a Marshall staking set. No matter which brand you eventually purchase, ensure that it has the "inverto" feature. This allows you to insert stakes inverted and use them as an anvil surfaces. This is useful when installing such components as hairsprings and roller tables.

I'm not familiar with Boley but it appears the set you are looking at has the inverto feature.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Jessica,
Another common staking tool set was made be K&D. This is the model 600 "Inverto", and these can be found on E-Bay frequently.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
On Wayne's set, for example, there's a part that's cross-hatched bowl-shape with a hole at the top at the very top of the front arm. That's what I mean by "top." What does that do. It's aligned with the corresponding holes in each part of the set, so it must do something. I don't really understand how this works. Is there anything that moved vertically? If so what? I know the plate with the circle of holes move around, but how do you do anything if nothing moves up and down? Sorry to be so uninformed, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
posted
Jessica
That is where the stake would be placed. This picture may show the use of a staking tool better:

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Jessica,
A bit more information, the little short ones are called stumps, the long ones are stakes.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Jessica,

I see the knurled nut on top you are talking about, but not being a watch person, I can't help you. I am waiting for the answer also. Looks to me like it holds the stump/stake in place. Somebody here knows what is missing from the one on ebay. Roll Eyes It is shown on all the others in this thread.

(TOP = HIGHEST POINT)

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
I did not notice that, yes i would think you would need it to hold the stake in place.maybe that is why it did not sell and needs to be relisted.