Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Memoirs of a Watch Case Engraver - Done! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

"Memoirs" Softcover Link

This project has been going for so long, I can't believe it's finally done. Yay! The above link is to the paperback version and a hardcopy version will be available in early June.

Here's a brief description:

"Memoirs of a Watch Case Engraver" was composed from 1941 to 1942 by Fritz Baumgartner and translated from German to English in 2007 by his great-grandson Brian Pittman. This story recounts the hardships and successes of one family during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Central to his autobiography are the Swiss immigrant experience and a struggling watch case industry confronting the Industrial Revolution. Upon immigrating to the United States in 1904, Fritz was one of 27 employees at the fledgling Star Watch Case Company, where he remained for over 25 years. When the factory moved from Elgin, Illinois to Ludington, Michigan, Fritz remained with the Engraving Department. For watch and clock enthusiasts, this volume offers over 1,650 original case designs produced for the Star Watch Case Company. Dating from roughly 1920 to 1930, this unique collection offers pocket watch collectors an intriguing possibility: do you own a Fritz?

Here's a link to the Chapter 185 thread describing the early development of the book back in 2004:
NAWCC Chapter 185 Star Watch Case Co Link

Thanks and enjoy,

Brian Pittman

Posts: 22 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Brian,
WOW Eek. I got up to page 60 or so tonight and am completely enthralled. What a beautiful memoir!

How lucky you are to have this work! What a blessed sweet life and ernest work. Wonderful!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Thanks Cort,

With no follow-up posts I was starting to think nobody was paying attention. I'm still waiting for the hardcopy proof to arrive and then I'll get really excited. Enjoy the read.

Brian P.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
WOW. What a spectacular history and biography. I look forward to being able to get my copy.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Brian,

I just started reading it and paged ahead to get a feel for the content. I am impressed with what I've seen and think it is quite unique, at least in my limited experience.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
Just two more 'free' days left so finish up your reading. I'm glad folks are enjoying it.

Brian P.

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Brian, I've read to page 60, very condensed and terse writing, yet conveying the gist of it as well as the acceptance of death and hard times as part of life then lived. They took remarkable hardships as "just the way it was", kept persevering to overcome the barriers to citizenship, overcame the chicanery of others to become American citizens. This is known in the South as "old time tough". A story out 0f history, with it's accomplishments and warts out there to see. Great manuscript!

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have THROUGHLY enjoyed reading this!

What has really made it 'live' for me is I once worked for a Harry Baumgartner when I worked at Goodyear Atomic Corp. in Piketon Ohio back in the 1970's. Considering the proximity to the location of your relatives, he may have been a family connection.

As to the living with death comment, I've heard and read about that in my own family and their living in southern Ohio during this time period. Most of the children of my Great Grand parents died of an influenza epidemic that took place at the turn of the 20th century, and are all buried side by side in South Webster, Ohio. The dates on the gravestones are separated by only days, so my family had an terrible time when that occurred. Yet, as with your family, life went on.

There aren't many Cross's left of that line (I'm the last male now), but the lineage goes on through MY daughters I guess.

Well done! I'm impressed with the fine job you've done it bringing his story to life again.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Well, two proofs later I'm finally published. Smile

The soft cover is available now from Lulu and the hardcover is due in a few weeks. I updated my initial post at the top of this thread to link to my page at Lulu. Thanks for all your support!

Brian P.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I ordered, and can't wait to read the rest of the story.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Thanks Sheila.

I'm thinking back to 2004 when you basically hunted down the little MSN group that I hobbled together and invited me to join Chapter 185. I'm so pleased to finally be able to circulate everything. There's a bit of the family's old laundry lingering in the book, but what memoir doesn't have something like that?

My youngest brother is getting married near Cleveland this November and I can't resist the urge to drag my price guide and Fritz guide around to a few antique stores in Michigan.

[Edit... and I'm taking recommendations on must-see shops, sites, and travel routes between Cleveland, OH, and Ludington, MI]

Cheers,
Brian P.

posted
Shiela strikes again! Smile
Brian,
What is"Lulu"? Is this where I find the book?
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Lulu is the publisher. Here's a direct link to the book at Lulu:

http://www.lulu.com/content/703075

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Cort,
It's so easy, I used Paypal and purchased it in literly minutes, got a receipt, and confirmed by paypal in seconds. Really easy purchase!

I love anything that helps me learn about watches and all that went into making them.

Buying great watches comes first, but a very close second, is Researching anything about watches, I consider it a Fantastic, and Fun thing to do.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Very interesting as my great grandfather Gingerich came from Germany. We have not very much history of them in Germany, but only after they came to America. I also can't wait until I read all of the story.
Moses

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005