• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mystery Tool. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I know this is some kind of warmer,but I am not sure what it was used for. I looked through an old C & E Marshall catolog and it wasn't listed there. Anyone know anything about this one?

Larry

Warmer

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
posted
Here's a closer look. This is the closed position.

Larry

Closed

posted
Here it is open.

Larry

open

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Larry,
If the edges in the opening are beveled, could this be a roller table remover?
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Hi Brian,
The edges of the opening are straight. What makes me think this is a warmer is that there are small amounts of shellac on the open side.the reverse side looks like it's been heated quite a few times.

Larry

posted
A bluing pan for small parts?

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
I'm not sure either,but I guess it could be used for that.

Larry

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
This is a heat-sink tool. It has various uses.

This tool would be of great use in setting pallet stones. The pallet staff sits upright in the slot which may be closed to hold it.

For some jobs, the box may be filled with fine brass filings so that it may act as a heat-sink, that is, so that it will stay warmer longer after it is removed from the flame. For some work, it is nice to keep the shellac soft long enough to permit fitting and adjustment of the stones.

Such heat sink tools are also of use for tempering small parts like balance staffs. The slow and even rise in temperature of the brass filings in the box will permit uniform tempering of small parts without burning them directly in the flame.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1960 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Greg,
Thanks for the information on this tool. Now I know what it was used for. It also explains that container of brass filings I found.

Larry