Internet Horology Club 185
Mystery Tool.

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5146029761/m/6951065621

April 09, 2005, 10:55
Lawrence Fure
Mystery Tool.
I know this is some kind of warmer,but I am not sure what it was used for. I looked through an old C & E Marshall catolog and it wasn't listed there. Anyone know anything about this one?

Warmer

Larry
April 09, 2005, 10:58
Lawrence Fure
Here's a closer look. This is the closed position.

Closed

Larry
April 09, 2005, 11:16
Lawrence Fure
Here it is open.

open

Larry
April 10, 2005, 05:36
Brian C.
Larry,
If the edges in the opening are beveled, could this be a roller table remover?
Brian C.
April 10, 2005, 09:22
Lawrence Fure
Hi Brian,
The edges of the opening are straight. What makes me think this is a warmer is that there are small amounts of shellac on the open side.the reverse side looks like it's been heated quite a few times.

Larry
April 10, 2005, 09:35
Mike Miller
A bluing pan for small parts?
April 11, 2005, 16:56
Lawrence Fure
I'm not sure either,but I guess it could be used for that.

Larry
April 13, 2005, 13:06
Greg Crockett
This is a heat-sink tool. It has various uses.

This tool would be of great use in setting pallet stones. The pallet staff sits upright in the slot which may be closed to hold it.

For some jobs, the box may be filled with fine brass filings so that it may act as a heat-sink, that is, so that it will stay warmer longer after it is removed from the flame. For some work, it is nice to keep the shellac soft long enough to permit fitting and adjustment of the stones.

Such heat sink tools are also of use for tempering small parts like balance staffs. The slow and even rise in temperature of the brass filings in the box will permit uniform tempering of small parts without burning them directly in the flame.

Best regards,
Greg
April 13, 2005, 18:49
Lawrence Fure
Greg,
Thanks for the information on this tool. Now I know what it was used for. It also explains that container of brass filings I found.

Larry